Author Topic: Wings in Smoker  (Read 3389 times)

cjr71244

• New to Smoking, model 1 owner
Wings in Smoker
« on: January 29, 2014, 03:49:52 PM »
Just started my first set of wings ever in my Smoker. Put in one dowel of hickory.

Didn't have time to brine them and bought 2 sets of 10 wings from Whole Foods. They had exactly what I was looking for, pre-seasoned wings. One set was Cajun Style, the other BBQ. I don't find many pre-seasoned wings at my local publix or Winn Dixie. I'm too lazy to make my own rub but if you guys have any suggestions on pre-made rubs for chicken wings I'd appreciate it.

Put them in at 250o for 2.5 hours per the other discussions here on the forum. put a little aluminum container of water and apple cider vinegar on the side and poured a little canola oil on them before I put them in. Afterwards I'll probably dip them in wing sauce maybe leave a few of each to the side to see how they taste without.

Here is the pic of them going in.

I'll will post pics and opinion of the results.

cjr71244

Re: Wings in Smoker
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 03:58:56 PM »
already had a little bit of an issue. I started it 1.5 hours ago at 250. I put the thermometer probe in the middle wing on the top rack, I also have wings in the middle rack. The probe may have been touching the bone since wings don't have huge chunks of meat on them.

It reached 167 degrees after 1.5 hours. I ran out and opened the door to let some of the heat out as I was planning on cooking it for 2.5 hours. I turned it down to 200 and closed the door.

What would you do in this case?

Where do you guys typically put your probe when using more than one rack? middle rack or top rack?

I plan on finishing in the broiler at 500 degrees until I see the skin crisping up.

cjr71244

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 05:29:50 PM »
Here are some pics after smoking. Funny even though my probe said 170 when I took them out I moved it to another wing and it went down to 140 and then another thermometer said most of them were about 140-150.

Walt

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 06:51:40 PM »
Its difficult to use a thermometer on ribs or wings.  Most cook these by time & temp.  You can check the temp with an instant read when you go to pull them out.  Look @ some of the other wing posts for temp & time for a good ballpark figure.  Joe from Texas always has very informitave posts.  Follow one of his cooks & you wont be disappointed.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 11:44:17 PM »
I have to agree with Walt on this. It is more about temp/time than what temp is in the wings. It is too hard to get a good read on those small pieces of meat.

From the wing places close to me that do wings all day long, they cook the wings first then douse with sauce afterwards. This allows the cooking to allow the wings to get done then the sauce is applied. For us the best thing for smoking is to allow the wings to get the smoke then put the sauces on top of the smoke.

Just my 2 cents.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2