Author Topic: New gear  (Read 9161 times)

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
New gear
« on: January 24, 2014, 10:19:57 PM »
Some of the "essentials". Updated my Maveric to the ET733.
I do like the scale for the size and weight it can handle. I think it is a bit light weight but should do fine for the things I will use it for.

The newer Maveric is supposed to have much higher distance, will see. I like that it includes two meat probes not just one and a rounded one for interior probe. Really like the revisions compared to the ET73 that I have been using, now the controls are easier to get to for the on/off and sync functions.

Bear Paws...no need to explain that one.

looking for more smokes and the ability to have more accurate results
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: New gear
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 10:33:09 PM »
Nice setup there, Ben!  The 733 looks pretty cool!  I use the 732, and love it.  I like the display on the 733 - it has a lot more info!  It should be interesting to see how it performs for you.  Are you going to do the boiling water/ice test to see how accurate it is?  There may be an "upgrade" in my future!

Oh, and Bear Paws??  You're right - needs no explanation!  ;D

I don't have a fancy scale like yours, but should probably get one.  The only thing I weigh, really, is my wood.  My little digital scale from Harbor Freight takes care of that.  That's a good-looking unit, though! 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 10:36:24 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 11:05:17 PM »
I like the scale a lot and bought a 100g calibration weight to make sure it was up to par. thing is dead on for readings.

733 is damn nice unit, can't wait to test it out. I will do a cal test to make sure it is close enough to call for our smokes.

I will post more pics soon of the PID I bought that is pretty simple as my test pig.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 11:39:25 PM »
Nice!  Thanks, Ben!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 09:17:30 AM »
Great set of essentials.  I have the same scale and it does work well...will be using it tomorrow to weigh out some hickory and cherry for 3 racks of ribs! 
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 01:21:17 PM »
That's it.... I know what I'm asking for Father's Day! ;-)
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 12:35:09 AM »
OK just ordered the Tappecue from Amazon right now. I will give a full review after I get it. This will be soon.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 10:46:31 PM »
So, have you tested the 733 yet??
Tony from NW Arkansas

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 11:04:50 PM »
Actually I am waiting for the tappecue now. I don't want to test the 733 if I decide that I like the tapp more. I could sell the 733 easy if it is still brand new in box.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 11:06:37 PM »
I am not sure that I mentioned that a bit ago I bought a Thermoworks RT301WA-N recently. Great thermometer. Pretty damn fast to read and not nearly as much as the Thermopen.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 11:46:00 PM »
Hehe.  You boys and your toys!   ;D   
Tony from NW Arkansas

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 06:40:54 AM »
Hey ... I've been away for a bit ... really curious to see your reviews on the Tappecue!!!

I have no idea why I am fascinated with such a device... especially at $200 ... but for some reason I am. In the end its not going to improve too much and would more or less be for me a pure "gizmo" perfect for this board!

My question... which isn't clear from the website... but I presume it links up to WIFI in my house... and then I could go to work about 10 miles away and still interface to see temps through an app on my iPhone... do I understand that right?

April through October I get in one smoke every weekend... and sometimes two if I'm feeling daring on a Friday. But now with the Smokin It I feel like I can always smoke on a Friday as well during this prime time season for our family. This device would be "neat" (and maybe still not needed) as I could start something Thursday night before bed, go to work Friday, monitor temps, ensure it goes into hold mode, etc., that everyhing is working just right....

I fear the father's day list is getting too long! I might have to makeup unprecedented lists for St.Patricks Day and Easter, every other Saturday for that matter. ;-)

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 02:40:09 PM »
YES! that is exactly why I wanted this Tappecue, for the wifi interface. You could fly to Hong Kong and login on your phone or iPad or whatever and would be able to make sure all is well in the smoke kingdom.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 05:06:28 PM »
Okay sounds great!

Please keep us posted Ben.

I'd like to trust you on going to Hong Kong. Nice people and all but I've done a lot of travel and that's just not me for some reason.

This dang forum is good for tips but my wife says it's tapping into her secret stash of cash she uses on retail therapy.  :)

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 05:09:17 PM »
Hey Ben, if you fly to Hong Kong while you're smoking a briskie, it might be a little overcooked by the time you get back to take it out! Hahaha! ;D   
Tony from NW Arkansas