Author Topic: Mini Chicken Spectacularrrr - Old Bay Brine and Plow Boys Yardbird Rub  (Read 4096 times)

cwshiles

• Get out there and Smoke it!
Coming in hot of the success of my Ribs yesterday I decided to really give this Auber a run for the money.  I got 2 x 3 1/2 LB chickens, made up a brine and submersed the chickens into the fragrant brine for an hour per lb.

Old Bay Brine
8 cups water
1/2 cub kosher salt
1/4 cub Old Bay
1/2 cup Dark Brown Sugar

I then pulled the chickens and dried them off with paper towels and let them sit for about 15 minutes and tried them again as best as I could.  Ideally you want to let them sit over night to achieve a drier texture and in the end yield a crispy skin.  While the chickens were drying I got the smoker ready.  I did not clean off the drippings from yesterdays rib cook which may have been a mistake.  More on that later.  After getting the Auber all hooked up and ready with the program below, I sprinkled a light coating Plow Boys Yard Bird Rub on the chickens all around.  I also put in 2.2 oz of Pecan wood split into 2 chunks.

225 degrees until it reaches IT 130
300 degrees until it reaches IT 170
130 degrees to hold for 4 hours

The chickens cooked fast.  they were done in just under 2 hours. 

They turned out good.  When I pulled them, I put an aluminum foil tent over them which may have effected the skin.  The skin looked crispy when I pulled it, but I let it rest about 15 minutes under the foil and I think it make the skin a little rubbery.  The chicken was really moist and tested great.  It was very smokey.  Next time I will not use that much wood for such small chickens.  The amount of wood may not have been the error of my ways, but maybe it was the fact that I did not clean out my smoker from the rib cook.  There were rib drippings on the smoke house and when the smoker kicked up to 300 ( it only reached 290 before the chicken finished) it really started smoking that grease on the smoke house.  When I opened the smoker door, I was blown away by smoke and not the sweet delicious smoke you would want. 

The Brine was good. It kept the birds very moist. They were just a touch salty which could have been the old bay AND the salt. You may want to dial the salt or the Old Bay back a bit. 

The Plowboys Yardbird rub is pretty good but its also pretty salty.  We used it on ribs last time and it was salty but we thought it was for another reason.  Its good, just use it sparingly.

In the end, the chickens still tasted good but had an extra bit of smoke on them that I could have done without.

We ate one and I pulled the other one (into the food saver bags) and will make pulled chicken sandwiches when them next week. 

What is the lesson for today? Clean your smoke house cover.  Oh, and mini smoked chickens are Spectacularrrrr!!!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 08:21:12 PM by cwshiles »
Charlie from MD
Smokin it Model #3 with Cart
Auber 1503, Maverick ET-733, iGrill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Mini Chicken Spectacularrrr - Brine and Plow Boys Yardbird Rub
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 08:17:07 PM »
They look good, Charlie!  Yep, not replacing that foil with clean stuff might have been a mistake - I don't know.  I know the drippings get pretty black by the time most smokes are done.  I've never left the burnt foil in there.  You know, Famous Dave makes a chicken rub, too! ;)   I've actually never tried it (hard to find around here), but if it's close to what they use in the restaurant, I bet it's pretty good!  One more thing...I always cook poultry to 165 (not 170).  I find that temp to be fully-cooked, safe, and really juicy. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

cwshiles

• Get out there and Smoke it!
Re: Mini Chicken Spectacularrrr - Old Bay Brine and Plow Boys Yardbird Rub
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 08:29:44 PM »
I'm with you on the IT Tony, but my wife is weird about chicken and likes it just a touch more done. I have spent 5 years trying to persuade her into my train of thought. Yeah, I still cook it to about 170.  ;)

I actually pulled this at 167 because I wanted to make sure it was done but also was afraid to dry it out with letting it go much longer. The chicken was very moist. It will make great pulled chicken.  I put it into 2 serving sized food saver bags and will reheat it the same way I do my pulled pork. I thaw the meat in the fridge and then boil a stock pot of water then turn it down to a simmer and put the foodsaver bags into the water for 20 minutes or until hot. It comes out just like it was when fresh out of the smoker.

Charlie from MD
Smokin it Model #3 with Cart
Auber 1503, Maverick ET-733, iGrill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Mini Chicken Spectacularrrr - Old Bay Brine and Plow Boys Yardbird Rub
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 08:59:17 PM »
Charlie, I understand, and feel your pain, brother! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!