Author Topic: Posting Pictures  (Read 36847 times)

jbauch357

Re: Posting Pictures
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2015, 02:06:45 AM »
I'm also an MSFT employee, but store all of the pictures I'm going to share on picasa - the embedding and resizing is brain dead simple and picasa albums are also integrated with android phones.

I'd say 8/10 pictures posted on the forum are monstrosities which I can only see a small portion of my my monitors, having people post properly sized pics would be really great.
Josh - Western Washington (hell)

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2015, 09:04:32 PM »
+1 with Josh on Picasa. It's awesome photo organizer. If I'm gonna upload photos on here I batch export them in Picasa. When you click on export you can choose your "Resize to:" in pixels and make it much easier to upload on these forums. I usually recommend 800 pixels for resizing.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 10:11:34 PM »
I also like Picasa, but find the simplicity of resizing in MS Paint quicker.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

paidin

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 10:43:13 AM »
I use irfanview and batch resize the pictures to save time.  irfanview is free.
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

jbauch357

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2015, 12:48:34 PM »
I guess it all depends on what you're planning on doing with the pictures.  Paint and irfanview are great tools for local/batch operations like vacation or family photo management.  But I see them both as overkill for something like a cell phone picture of the meal that I just want to share with forum buddies.

In the end, I think the goal would be finding something simple to learn/use so that the pictures posted on the forum are of an appropriate size.  Maybe just a forced re-size function built into the attachment feature would be a good alternative?
Josh - Western Washington (hell)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2015, 01:52:32 PM »
Maybe just a forced re-size function built into the attachment feature would be a good alternative?
This software has that capability.  One of my other forum sites uses this version of software and pictures are resized for viewing by the forum site. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

paidin

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2015, 06:04:59 PM »
I guess it all depends on what you're planning on doing with the pictures.  Paint and irfanview are great tools for local/batch operations like vacation or family photo management.  But I see them both as overkill for something like a cell phone picture of the meal that I just want to share with forum buddies.

In the end, I think the goal would be finding something simple to learn/use so that the pictures posted on the forum are of an appropriate size.  Maybe just a forced re-size function built into the attachment feature would be a good alternative?

My problem is that one picture is just not enough!  I try to contribute by adding step by step instructions and step by step photos.  I am a self professed computer expert and photoshop guru.  This smokinitforum handles images very poorly relative to other forums I sometimes frequent.  This forced me to come up with the easiest, laziest, most effective way to move pictures from my phone to this forum.  The result was irfanview since I did not have photoshop on all of my computers and I never know when I want to upload stuff to this forum.  With irfanview, I have a free and standardized way to select a bunch of pictures, format it down to 1000 pixels, resample down to the appropriate resolution, and have everything in one directory for me to select and upload photos.

Additionally, I use dropbox to upload photos automatically and have them available locally on the hard drive for irfanview to digest into smaller photos for me to upload.

again, all this so that I can be as lazy as possible :)  and cheap.
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2015, 10:34:09 AM »
If you are using your phone for photos you easily resize them on your phone with an app.

For the Iphone try out  Simple Resize By tekunodo.
Resize your photo.
It's free, easy to use, just try it!

How to use
1. Choose photo from your library / Take a picture.
2. Set saved photo size.
3. Save.

If you are you using an android phone look for Photo & Picture Resizer by farluner

How Smart Image Resizer works:
1) select the picture
2) the picture resizer displays the selected photo
3) select the resolution (width x height) from the list
4) the selected picture is reduced and displayed

Smart Image Resizer Features:
* Absolutely free
* Original pictures are not touched
* Resized pictures are automatically saved in the 'Pictures/PhotoResizer' directory
* Very good quality of the resized photos
* Photos resized several times do not lose quality

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2015, 03:52:20 PM »
Update:  Ben, the IT guy, loaded a mod to resize photos.  It will now automatically set the max width to 680 px.  Tried uploading a really big photo today, and it worked great!  Thanks Ben!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2015, 04:22:40 PM »
Thanks Ben and Tony! This should really help out quite a bit!
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2015, 04:56:39 PM »
The quiet "Oz" of this site.

Sounds like a good improvement.
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Limey

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2015, 06:36:26 PM »
Thank you Tony and Ben.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

crashmeister

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2020, 07:33:00 PM »
The 'Insert Image' button provides the tags, but placing the URL between the tags does not work.

Are attachments the only way to insert pictures ?

URL used: http://www.3dpilots.com/bbq/CB-Brisket-Sliced.jpg
Craig from Atlanta, GA
-------------------------
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool !

BHamel

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2021, 11:59:55 AM »
I believe that I have corrected the issue with pictures and will be making another backup of the site tonight.  Thank you to all who posted help and solutions.  It would appear that one of the updates moved some folders and changed the permissions for those folders.  I have restored the images and hope everything is working again.

Thanks,
Ben
Ben from Ohio
Smokin-it IT guy!
Owner of a Model #3
If you can't smoke it!  You shouldn't be eating it!!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2021, 02:22:25 PM »
Here’s hoping.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill