Author Topic: #1 smoker or ... & Intro  (Read 8757 times)

jamiedolan

#1 smoker or ... & Intro
« on: December 14, 2013, 06:08:59 PM »
HI;

I'm from Neenah, WI.  About 6 years ago I got a propane smoker, (just a 4 foot tall metal box with 3 or 4 racks, no idea of the brand) which I got rid of after about 3 years of use because the burner started having problems.  It also did not heat very evenly.  I used a inexpensive electric smoker many years ago and remember it doing a fairly good job, but gave it to a family member when we moved.

I'm very impressed with what I've read about the Smokin-It unit and was feeling like a #2 would be a good fit.  I just emailed and found out the #2 may or may not be in stock for christmas delivery.  With added shipping the #3 is almost twice the cost of the #1.  Basically I think I would have go ahead and ordered the #2 had it been in stock now for christmas delivery, but now I'm questioning if I can get by with the #1.

Most of the time in the past I've smoked food for 2 people, but like to make enough for a second meal; baby back ribs for example I would typically make around 7 or 8 pounds at a time.  I also made beef jerky, which I would make larger amounts of since it would keep.  I smoked a couple whole chickens in the gas smoker also.  I tried curing and smoking bacon, but never had good results.

I guess I'm having a hard time getting a feeling for how much of something like ribs your able to fit into the #1.  I don't see any rib racks available for it.  Would 8 pounds of ribs be a easy fit in the #1?  How about 2 decent size chickens?

Thanks for any input.

Jamie Dolan

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
Re: #1 smoker or ... & Intro
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 06:35:22 PM »
You are going to make a great purchase either way but I would definitely spring for the largest one that is within your budget. I bought a #2 and love it but at the time I didn't buy the #3 for shipping costs. I really wish now I had just did it since I have found that even though I don't cook for a lot of people, I occasionally make more to give out to family. That extra space would come in handy here and there.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 09:09:59 AM »
Welcome, Jamie!  I have a #1, but wish I had ordered a 2 or 3.  If you're just cooking for a few, the #1 is fine, but you'll be limited for a crowd.  Here's what you can fit:

Pork butt - 1 x 10-11 lb butt
Brisket - 1 full 13 lb packer cut, but you have to cut it in half for 2 shelves.
Baby back ribs - 3 full racks, using 3 shelves.
Spare ribs - 1 1/2 racks on 3 shelves.
Chicken - 1 whole (Edit:  I haven't tried it, but you could probably fit 2 4 lb birds in standing up, beer can style)
Turkey - 1 whole bird, up to 14 pounds.
Pork loin - 2 whole (10 lb) loins, cut in half, on 2 shelves.

The 1 is a fine unit, but I find myself severely limited on real estate at times.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 11:38:40 AM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 10:21:51 AM »
I have a #2 and it works well for my family of 2 adults and 2 young kids.  Anything I smoke produces left overs...I did 3 racks of ribs yesterday, gave one rack to neighbors, one rack that my wife and I ate last night, and another rack ready for today!

While I think you will be happy with a #1 or #2, I would recommend larger if the budget allows.   
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

es1025

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 11:40:42 AM »
Jaime
I would recommend going with a #2. It's big enough for all you needs.

I have a #3 and I have yet to stuff it full over meat.

Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

jamiedolan

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 12:01:37 PM »
With the #2 out of stock, I ended up ordered the #3 last night so I would get in on the weekend special.  I do feel the #3 is larger than what I need, and the shipping was considerably more, but with the special that has the free cover, rib hooks and chip screen I decided to go for it.  I also got the jerky dryer.

I had the timezone conversion confused last night (long day for me) and didn't submit my order until 12:25 est (11:25 my time).  I just got the shipping confirmation and it listed the smoker, jerky dryer and other accessories that I ordered.  It didn't list the free cover, rib hooks and chip screen on the shipping confirmation, so I'm not sure if I got these or not.

I'm really impressed with the very prompt shipping, but will be disappointed if I missed out on the bonus as  I really wanted the cover to protect it.

I have to figure out the cart thing, I did not buy a cart, I will make a post about this. 

Jamie

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 01:00:55 PM »
Congratulations on the purchase!   You can't go wrong with a larger unit.   You can always smoke less in a larger unit, but not more in a smaller!   I would contact Steve at SI and see if they will honor the weekend deal given the time zone difference.  Cheers!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

jamiedolan

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 04:35:13 PM »
Congratulations on the purchase!   You can't go wrong with a larger unit.   You can always smoke less in a larger unit, but not more in a smaller!   I would contact Steve at SI and see if they will honor the weekend deal given the time zone difference.  Cheers!

Thanks.  I did drop him a email right away last night when I realized I had ordered late in his timezone, I'm just waiting to hear back.  I'm sure he is busy shipping out orders.

I've been looking at seasoning rubs and bbq sauces this afternoon.  I'm looking forward to using this new unit.

Jamie

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 05:17:30 PM »
Lots of good info on this site...you can't go wrong!   We will wait to hear about your first smoke!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 05:56:48 PM »
Way to go, Jamie!  You'll be happy with the larger unit, even if you never "need" all of the space!  Just knowing it's there if you need it!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

BIG BOB

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 07:05:59 PM »
good move on the #3... I have the #2 and love it but I find myself wanting to cook more for others to try my wares....LOL. bragging, but I give the #2 all of the credit.

one thing I have noticed is when I have two large butts in there...my temp swings are much less. I guess what I am saying is you might ask other owners of the spacious #3 if they use anything to create mass to help prevent wild temp swings....??

anyway, welcome and enjoy. use this forum for advice and you will be ok.

FYI... a buddy of mine lives in Reedsburg, WI --- he always brings curds when he visits!!!
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

jamiedolan

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 01:54:49 PM »
good move on the #3... I have the #2 and love it but I find myself wanting to cook more for others to try my wares....LOL. bragging, but I give the #2 all of the credit.

one thing I have noticed is when I have two large butts in there...my temp swings are much less. I guess what I am saying is you might ask other owners of the spacious #3 if they use anything to create mass to help prevent wild temp swings....??

anyway, welcome and enjoy. use this forum for advice and you will be ok.

FYI... a buddy of mine lives in Reedsburg, WI --- he always brings curds when he visits!!!

Do I understand correctly that with smaller loads (smaller amounts of meat) that you have wide temp swings in the #3?

Reedsburg is about 2 hours from here, I don't make it down to that area too often, but am sure I've been through there at some point.

Thanks much for the warm welcome.

Jamie

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 08:04:32 PM »
To minimize temp swings, especially when there's not much meat in there, I use a fairly large water pan (disposable aluminum "mini loaf" pans) on the bottom of the smoker next to the wood box.  One thing I used to do in an old Brinkman cheapie charcoal smoker (the barrel style) was to fill the water pan with sand to hold the heat...it worked!  If there's something inside the box to absorb, rather than reflect the heat, the temp swings will be less.  If you check the box temps with it empty (like during seasoning), you'll see the swings are wild.  But, put a load of meat in there, and they'll be much less. 

By the way, I see temp swings in my #1 of +/- 10 degrees.
Tony from NW Arkansas

BIG BOB

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 07:31:24 AM »
Jamie --- I have the #2 , but the only crazy temp swings i ever had was during seasoning.... dont panic it is normal. the more meat you smoke--- the less temp seings you will experience.  i still swing 10 + or -... but it is normal and averages out. You will love this smoker!
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

jamiedolan

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 11:19:02 PM »
The unit came today, box looked good, just a couple minor dings in the cardboard, but I'm sure the contents are fine.  It's safely stashed away at my parents till christmas so my spouse doesn't see it.

A week from now till I get to use it!

I'm still looking at ordering a few last minute accessories to go with it, seasonings, pork pulling gloves, etc.

I'm not actually sure if I got the bonus / sale items included with it or not, I never heard back from the email I sent steve and decided to just leave it boxed up for now.  Maybe I'll sneak a peak in the box before christmas just to see if I got the bonus items or not.

Jamie