Author Topic: Temperature Adjustment  (Read 32678 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Temperature Adjustment
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2015, 02:40:27 PM »
Steve, good to hear.  Next time, try not wrapping the bricks in foil.  The foil shields the heat, and you want the brick to absorb it.  Your temps will be even tighter.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2015, 02:00:17 PM »
Steve, I still think you have a temp control problem as thermostats aren't supposed to be so smart as to know what is or isn't in the smoker.  They are supposed to just measure temperature and turn on or off as needed. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2015, 08:23:09 PM »
Steve, I still think you have a temp control problem as thermostats aren't supposed to be so smart as to know what is or isn't in the smoker.  They are supposed to just measure temperature and turn on or off as needed.

Dave, I agree that the analog controller is not "smart," but he essentially had an empty smoker.  If you monitor the crazy swings in an empty box, you see that the not-so-smart controller can't even handle the "on/off" function very well with nothing in there to absorb the heat.  It's why we tell folks to not bother monitoring their smokers during seasoning...it freaks most people out! :o   When you have a heat sink, whether it be meat or bricks, the controller will function much more accurately because the temp changes aren't so drastic. 

I say we let Steve try a few more smokes with something in the box, and see how it goes.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 10:35:46 AM »
Hey Tony - I wanted to run the pepper some more to see if it would get more smoky so, following your advice, I wrapped two bricks in foil and put them the bottom.  It worked great, thanks!  And, with the ET732 I could monitor the temp swings at a given temp setting.  For example, I now know that setting the SI on 200, it cycles between 210 and 260; setting at 225 yields 230 to 275.  So my T-day 12 lb turkey needed a 250 temp (from the chart) so I set the knob on 225 & Viola!!  Great bird.  Happy Thanksgiving!
Tony, if we preach that temperature swings average out to the temperature setting we want, you'll see that he is trying to develop his own code to get a desired temperature.  His 225 degree setting averages 250, that's not how we should be cooking. 

DivotMaker

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 08:26:07 PM »
Good point, Dave.  From the sounds of it, though, I think his controller is working.  I think Steve may be trying to estimate the "average" temperature by simply looking at the low/high temps; that does not create an average, because there is no way to manually track how long it's at either extreme.  I bet his temp is a lot closer than he thinks, and may only need a mild knob correction.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Dockmaster

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2015, 04:43:38 PM »
Hey Tony, I've been out of town for a while, but I like the advice of not wrapping the bricks in foil!  Thanks.  By the way, when I smoked the salt & pepper, I also had some cayenne pepper in there too.  The pepper was pretty good, salt so-so.  But the cayenne pepper turned out really good -- hot and real smokey.  Merry Christmas to All!!
Steve, Jacksonville, Florida -- SI #2; Started smoking in 1982 on a Weber kettle grill; then a Masterbuilt charcoal bullet; then a Masterbuilt propane fired bullet. Retired Navy Submariner; Retired Dockmaster.

DivotMaker

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2015, 10:21:41 PM »
Sounds good, Steve!  Kind of like Chipotle Cayenne! ;)   Merry Christmas!
Tony from NW Arkansas

nolimitchips

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2016, 11:18:12 AM »
I've been having a lot of trouble getting my Auber to regulate temperature.  It never seems to get to 230.  It will approach that temperature, but never actually get there.  I've talked to Steve and the Auber unit does measure temperature correctly (212F with boiling water) so I'm not sure what's going on.  I thought I would look at increasing my SI2's temperature to 300F as many have mentioned can be done with changing the knob.  Once I've taken the knob off and looked at it, I'm not really sure how changing the top part of the temperature knob will make any difference.  Ultimately the metal shaft is what controls the temperature and it doesn't matter if the plastic part now looks like it's going past 250F, the metal part is still moving the same as it ever did.  I must be missing something.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,
MD

DivotMaker

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2016, 08:59:49 PM »
I've been having a lot of trouble getting my Auber to regulate temperature.  It never seems to get to 230.  It will approach that temperature, but never actually get there.  I've talked to Steve and the Auber unit does measure temperature correctly (212F with boiling water) so I'm not sure what's going on.  I thought I would look at increasing my SI2's temperature to 300F as many have mentioned can be done with changing the knob.  Once I've taken the knob off and looked at it, I'm not really sure how changing the top part of the temperature knob will make any difference.  Ultimately the metal shaft is what controls the temperature and it doesn't matter if the plastic part now looks like it's going past 250F, the metal part is still moving the same as it ever did.  I must be missing something.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,
MD

NoLimit - Welcome!  Now that you've found us, head over to introductions and tell us about yourself.  Also, a first name and town in your signature line is really appreciated - and the standard - around here.

You're right - this adjustment has nothing to do with your issue.  Rather than getting into in this unrelated thread, please start a new topic under the Troubleshooting section.  Please give details about your model smoker, model of Auber, whether or not you have autotuned it, are you using extension cords, etc...  The more details you give, the better.  We will help you solve this - it's what we do!

I'll be looking for your new topic!
Tony from NW Arkansas

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2017, 07:42:52 PM »
Has anyone done this successfully?  In following the instructions, in my case, it doesn't change the temperature at the dial setting.  It changes how far the dial will turn, i.e. from 360 degrees to something less depending on how far you turn the knurled piece.  Appreciate any feedback from someone that has done this. 

tomd8

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2019, 07:08:28 PM »
Just to close the loop on the question above regarding do the instruction work I can say yes.  I just adjusted my #3 after I over spun the temp knob when shutting the smoker off causing it to come apart.  Following the instructions at the start of this thread and making sure I added a brick in the smoker for mass I was able to set the swing between 208 and 238 when the dial is set to 225deg.  I'll see how it performs and could tweek it up a bit if it appears things are a bit off.  BTW, I used small bits of tape (black and blue) to mark the extreme settings which I then adjusted between.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 07:11:01 PM by tomd8 »
Tom from New York
SmokinIt #3 analog, Masterbuilt analog, Little Chief

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2019, 09:00:59 PM »
I am sure those with an analog model will find your posting and your follow-up useful.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

BrianInOhio

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2020, 12:31:32 PM »
The increments on the knob are not at 5 degrees. What exactly are they supposed it be?
Brian - Columbus, OH
Smoker Newbie
Bourbon drinker
Smokin' It #1

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2020, 01:06:34 PM »
The markings are more of an estimate than a perfect division.  If you need to tweak the controller, please see the first post in this section for instructions.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus