Author Topic: Smoked Cauliflower Soup  (Read 2628 times)

ultrafirebike

Smoked Cauliflower Soup
« on: November 29, 2013, 05:45:32 PM »
I've made several batches of this and it tastes great. I've shared it with a vegan friend and even made it for the firemen on my night to cook down at the firehall.

I start by smoking my cauliflower...usually when I'm making pulled pork or ribs..when there is about 2-3 hours left on the smoking process, like I have wrapped the pork shoulders and getting past the crutch. I take several heads...3-4 will make 2 double batches as listed below. I cut the florets out in large pieces and lay them over the rack on the top shelf...add 2-3 pieces of wood for fresh smoke and let it go for 3 hours. When I pull it out, the cauliflower is smoke covered and ever so slightly dry. When I make the recipe below, I usually make a double batch...get it to the point of adding the cauliflower..throw in enough to fill the pot and let it boil for just a few minutes to absorb some of the liquid. No need to let it boil for 15 minutes cause the cauliflower is already cooked. Throw it in the blender, then back in the pot, add the coconut milk and it's done.

The flavor is a nutty, rich smoked flavor that is all vegetarian, in fact vegan, and still very hearty. Looks and tastes nothing like you would think it would. Several firemen thought they wouldn't like it but asked for a second bowl.

Creamy Curried Cauliflower Soup
Serves 6-8
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more to serve
2 medium white onions, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to season
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large head of cauliflower (about 2 pounds), trimmed and cut into florets
4 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (or water)
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 1/4 teaspoon cumin
1 cup coconut milk
Freshly-ground black pepper, to season
1/4 cup roasted cashew halves, for garnish (optional, see Recipe Note)
1/4 cup finely chopped Italian parsley, for garnish (optional)
red chile pepper flakes, for garnish (optional)
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat until shimmering. Cook the onions and 1/4 teaspoon salt until onions are soft and transluscent, 8-9 minutes. Reduce heat to low, add garlic and cook for 2 additional minutes. Add cauliflower, vegetable broth, coriander, turmeric, cumin, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring pot to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to low. Simmer until cauliflower is fork-tender, about 15-17 minutes
Working in batches, purée the soup in a blender until smooth, and then return the soup to the soup pot. (Alternatively, use an immersion blender to purée the soup right in the pot.) Stir in the coconut milk and warm the soup. Taste and add more salt, pepper or spices if you’d like.
To serve, ladle the soup into favorite bowls and garnish with a handful of toasted cashews, a few springs of parsley, sprinkle of red chili flakes and a dash of olive oil to top.
Ultrafirebike
I will ride anywhere to try BBQ
North America is my local Riding area

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
Re: Smoked Cauliflower Soup
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 10:34:39 PM »
This sounds like a great recipe and something I am going to have to try one day.  Thanks for the post.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It