Author Topic: heating issues  (Read 21415 times)

rickne

heating issues
« on: November 29, 2013, 05:34:07 PM »
Something isn't right.  My maverick or my thermostat are not working correctly.  I think its the thermostat.  I can't get this thing above 210.

Its cold out but not that cold.  And this should push thru 18 lbs if cold meat easily.

The question is do I call and get the thermostat replaced or just buy the PID?  Or both?
Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: heating issues
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 07:32:32 PM »
Sorry to hear you're having problems, Rick.  I'd call Steve and see what he thinks.  Good guy, and he'll take care of you.  He'll probably replace the controller.  You might want to check the box temp with another thermometer also.  But hey, if you want it dead-on, get the PID.  ;)   Analog controllers are not that accurate, but should get hotter than 210.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

rickne

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 10:18:21 PM »
I can live with swings.  My variance is pretty tight.  I'm 7 hours into to pork butts.  The swing is between 197 & 210 consistently.  I have it dialed up to 250 though.  I repositioned two probes in the unit and they are both within 1 degree of each other.

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 10:26:02 PM »
Yep...call Steve next week.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 10:32:52 PM »
I too learned quickly how mighty the temp swings can be. But with a water pan it evens out a bit more, but the main temp never really got up to 250F even here in AZ while being only 64F during the day. I feel that the rheostat is to blame here. I am switching to a custom built PID controller to give me more control. Hopefully that will be the best option. I am a tech guy so I do like to see what is actually going on and have more control.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

rickne

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 10:41:48 AM »
So I was able to limp through my cook.  I'm cooking lunch for a small hockey team today.  Two 8lb pork shoulders.  Knowing this thing stuggled to get to a decent temp on Thanksgiving, I put the butts in early.  23 hours in advance.  Like I said, temp was consistent 197-210.  The highest temp I recall seeing was 214 and lowest 189.

The good news...  you can cook a pork butt low and slow at 200 degrees.  It just takes time.  I put them on at 2pm yesterday.  15 hours (7am) I wrapped them in foil and put them in the oven at 235 too push them up to 203 degrees.  They came out of the oven at 9am and frankly looked and felt really nice.  I wrapped them in plastic, foil, and towels and they are resting in the cooler until 1pm.  I threw a large pan of beans on the cooker this morning.

I'm glad I was able to limp through and still come out with a good product.

The turkey's on Thanksgiving weren't so fortunate.  I really pressed the DANGER ZONE (145 degrees in 4 hours).    I ended up finishing the breast in the oven and it turned out good.  The bird didn't fair so well.  I ended up throwing it out because it took 6 hours to get to 145 degrees. 

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 05:11:59 PM »
Sorry to hear about this.  You can test the Maverick with some boiling water, but my guess is that the controller on the unit may be off.  Did you try raising the temp on the dial?  If that did not work, then I would suggest calling Steve to see what he thinks. 
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

rickne

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 03:05:33 AM »
Had the dial cranked both times.  The weird thing is when I did my beans, it ran 215-230.   That's with a pan of six 22 oz cans of cold beans.  I will call on monday.  I may just end up with a pid and bypass tye analog stat so that I can push 20lbs of mear on a winter night. 

I did check all my probes in boiling water.  My maverick probes read 214 and 211.  My polder read 212.

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 03:18:58 AM »
I feel your pain. I can't understand why a rheostat that can go up to 250F wont go there is working properly. Thus why I am going the PID route. Today my smoke with a TB never reached the 250F temp, just around 230F. It was a decent 70F outside, so should have met that temp easily.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 08:28:03 AM »
Rick and Ben - are either of you using a large drip pan on the bottom shelf?  In the past, we've had several people placing a drip pan between the smoke box and box temp probe, and they've experienced low temps.  Just curious... 
Tony from NW Arkansas

Randy

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 12:22:57 PM »
My wife gave me her crock pizza pan . About twelve by eighteen really helps keep temp up and more even. And still use water pan helps even more.
If it walks, crawls, slizzers, or even grows from the grownd smoke it.

es1025

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 07:33:31 PM »
My last two smokes I have not gotten the temperature inside the box higher than 235 degrees.  I have the temp at 250.  It was under 45 degrees outside temperature.  I am not sure if that is the issue or not.

The smokes came out very good but just concerned about not getting above 235.

Maybe we can get Ben to ask Steve if the weather plays a role in the temp inside the box.

Tony, maybe worth a global question.

Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 09:13:56 PM »
DM- yes I have a pan on the lowest shelf but not quite up to the temp probe. Plus I have a maverick probe up a few shelves to get a more accurate reading.  The pans are Weber aluminum pans so they shouldn't be blocking too much heat.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 09:53:42 PM »
Ben, try a smoke without a pan below the meat.  Nothing but smoke box, water pan and meat.  Let us know if you see any difference.

Ed, good idea on the outside temp issue.  I'll get a post on that right away.
Tony from NW Arkansas

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 10:30:54 PM »
will do on the no pan, since it seems I will have to make ribs this weekend any way  ;)
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2