Author Topic: Brisket (with a little help from the Texas Crutch)  (Read 7631 times)

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Brisket (with a little help from the Texas Crutch)
« on: April 14, 2013, 02:29:49 PM »
Injected with a mixture of beef stock, Shiner Bock, garlic infused olive oil, and Sriracha.  Rubbed with mustard and a spice blend of paprika, garlic powder, cracked black pepper, cayenne, cumin, and sea salt.  14 hours over hickory, then pulled and wrapped for another two.

It's just about where I want it.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 08:54:28 AM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

Rob Babcock

Re: Brisket (with a little help from the Texas Crutch)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 05:07:01 AM »
Nice!  Did it taste as good as it looks? :)

UWFSAE

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 03:02:57 PM »
It was quite good.  I wanted a bit more "oomph" but everyone else who tried it raved about it.

I plan to add some more heat to the injection (using a jalapeno puree rather than Sriracha, possibly) next time (and probably let it rest overnight in the fridge after injection) but it was VERY juicy as it was.  The rub was nice but I'm thinking about backing the temp down just a touch to 220 to give the bark more time to develop.

After playing around with recipe and methods, I do subscribe to the method of a cold smoker and a cold meat to give it a slower build and more smoke flavor.  I'm also going to use some mesquite with the next brisket to see if that gives me the flavor profile I'm wanting.
Joe from Houston, TX

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 11:15:15 PM »
It was quite good.  I wanted a bit more "oomph" but everyone else who tried it raved about it.

I plan to add some more heat to the injection (using a jalapeno puree rather than Sriracha, possibly) next time (and probably let it rest overnight in the fridge after injection) but it was VERY juicy as it was.  The rub was nice but I'm thinking about backing the temp down just a touch to 220 to give the bark more time to develop.

After playing around with recipe and methods, I do subscribe to the method of a cold smoker and a cold meat to give it a slower build and more smoke flavor.  I'm also going to use some mesquite with the next brisket to see if that gives me the flavor profile I'm wanting.

What's your thoughts on a cherry/hickory mix for the smoke, Joe?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

UWFSAE

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 11:29:11 PM »
I'm a BIG fan of cherry as a complimentary wood for hickory, pecan and oak.  I've been on a kick lately of the cherry/pecan combo for beef and have been very satisfied with the results.  I'm out of mesquite but I'll probably mix things up a bit with that in the next few weeks.
Joe from Houston, TX

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 07:29:10 PM »
I'm a BIG fan of cherry as a complimentary wood for hickory, pecan and oak.  I've been on a kick lately of the cherry/pecan combo for beef and have been very satisfied with the results.  I'm out of mesquite but I'll probably mix things up a bit with that in the next few weeks.

Seems like I remember you writing somewhere you did equal parts cherry & hickory, with a cherry reload when IT reaches 140...is that right?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

UWFSAE

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 11:51:55 PM »
Yup ... I like a bit of the woody-sweet bite from a little extra fresh smoke at the right as the meat is in that range.  Considering the plateau of a hunk of meat that big, a few extra hours of smoke helps really give it some "oomph" in my opinion.  When I use this method, I've never had complaints of bitterness or oversmoking so I'm going to stick with it if it "ain't broke".
Joe from Houston, TX

bigboy74

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 11:49:24 PM »
Joe, Did you open your smoker any during the smoke to spray are anything??

UWFSAE

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 12:06:07 AM »
Not until I wrapped it at the 14 hour mark.  The injection I used provided ample moisture and a great bark, so even after foiling it retained its texture.

If you've got concerns about moisture I'd wrap at the 160 mark and let it ride out the stall while foiled.  This might serve to speed up the process a bit but still give you the flavor and texture you're looking for.  Alternatively, a water pan with some beer or juice will promote a slightly humid environment ...

Just like a good steak, let the meat and the heat do the heavy lifting.
Joe from Houston, TX

bigboy74

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 12:13:42 AM »
Not too worried about moisture at all. I know a brisket is in the smoker a long time, but I have faith in the Smikin-it brand.

smokeasaurus

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 08:26:48 AM »
The Smokin -it is the only smoker I have ever used where I have the choice to foil or not. It produces moist gentle heat for the entire cook.........