Author Topic: First Turkey... for family - HELP  (Read 4663 times)

rickne

First Turkey... for family - HELP
« on: November 25, 2013, 03:18:17 PM »
I've smoked one turkey in my life, years ago, on my stick burner.  It ruined it.

So we've never really hosted Thanksgiving and I don't know if my wife has every cooked a turkey either.  But my mom passed away earlier this year and well...  we are hosting.  So, my wife asks, "can you cook a turkey in that new smoker?"  I replied "sure".  She said, "good, make sure you cook enough for 5 men and two women."

So, I picked up a 12lb bird and a 6.6lb breast (bone-in).  I think that will be enough.  18 plus lbs of turkey.  My mom would only cook a 14-16lb bird so I 'm sure it will be.

I can't find anything that isn't injected so both are injected.  I've decided I'm not brining.  I don't want to risk it being overly salty.  They need to turn out GOOD, not ABSOLUTELY AMAZING.  I'm going to stay with a very light wood (apple, cherry, maybe pecan) and not much of it.

Two questions...    Rub? Cook time?

Rub?  Should I pick up some Yard Bird or go with something I throw together.  How light or heavy on the rub.

Cook time?  I will probably set the Model 3 at 250 degrees.  I will also have a probe in both the breast and the bird.  Which will get done first?  how much time should I allow.

Is this right?  IT Breast 165?

Please help???

Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

rickne

Re: First Turkey... for family - HELP
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 03:31:15 PM »
two other things...

I'm thinking about 1.5 oz of apple for wood.  I do not want any risk of too much smoke flavor.

Also, I'm thinking of spatchcocking the turkey.  My thinking is that it will cook more evenly and timing will be better with the Breast.

My biggest concern is that breast is done in 3 hours and the bird in 4.5 hours.

es1025

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 06:43:59 AM »
Rick
I have cooked turkey breast twice in the smoker.  Once it took 3.5 hours the other 5 hours.  I think the difference was the 2nd round the turkey was not brined for 1/lb.

That said, you will need to cook to 165 IT, the 1.5 oz of wood is good, no more.  I think the spatchcocking should lower the cooking time since the bird is butterflied.

The 250 is fine, I smoke at 240. I would definitely add a water pan (I use apple juice & water).  This will allow the meat is tenderize a little better and maintain the temperature inside the smoker.

Rubs are fine, I am planning on using 2 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp old bay. 1/4 tsp garlic powder and 1/4 tsp onion powder. I don't add in any extra salt due to I brine.

You have the right process, it really depends on the birds. 

Good Luck!
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 07:42:27 AM »
Hi Rick,

I have smoked a 13# turkey in my #2 and it took about 4 hours to reach 165IT.   I also did a 7# TB that also took 4 hours to reach 165IT.  So, you may find that both will take about 4 hours, but allow extra time so you can wrap and hold the TB for 30 minutes or more before carving, and I would tent the turkey for the same amount of time.   I have not tried splitting the turkey in half, and mine cooked fine without splitting.   I think you can forego the brining...I am doing a 7# TB in the smoker on Thursday and plan to skip the brine, but I do put a small can of apple juice in the bottom for additional moisture.   The apple wood should work perfectly; I am going with cherry.

Happy Thanksgiving...and I am 100% sure that you and family will enjoy a nice smoked turkey!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

rickne

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 09:36:01 AM »
Thanks Gentlemen.  That was great information.  I will plan on 4 hours.  Given my TB is 6.5 and my bird is 11.5, I think that is a safe and conservative estimate.  Even if I under/over shoot by 45 minutes, I will be fine.  I will go very light on the wood.  I'm not looking for a smokey turkey anyway.  With 1-1.5 oz of apple wood I should have a very low risk of over smoking.  I also plan to but a water pan in to (a) add some moisture with apple juice and water and (b) to catch some of the drippings and make clean up easier.  I think I will go with a simple and light rub.

Do you guys monitor the IT of the thigh too?  Or is that redundant? 

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 01:12:31 PM »
Sounds like a plan!   I only monitor the breast, not the thigh.  Happy Thanksgiving!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 08:04:36 PM »
Good info from our turkey gurus here!  I'm smoking my first one, Thursday, too!  I have a 12.6 lb whole turkey, injected with the 3% "broth solution" (not sure exactly what that is), so I'm not going to brine - don't want to risk too salty.  I plan to rub with olive oil and _________(fill in the blank) rub....haven't decided yet.  ???   I'm going to fill the cavity with mire poix (equal parts of chopped celery, carrots and onion).  I'll smoke it with cherry.  BTW, if you haven't tried a chicken or turkey with mire poix, you should.  It helps keep the meat moist, and really adds to the flavor.  Discard it after it cooks, as it's only for the cooking process.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

rickne

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 10:34:21 PM »
Glad I'm not the only guy in the hot seat on Thursday.   Good Luck to you.  ;D

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 12:05:17 AM »
My curiosity is peaked now. Never thought about butterflying the bird to smoke it. But with the 18# bird I am not sure that it will fit on the rack of the #2. Anyone done something similar? If it truly knocks the time down then this might just be the trick to get it done without me waking up at 4AM to start the smoking. I was thinking that it would be around 9 hours whole.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2