Author Topic: Brined vs Injected Turkey Breasts  (Read 4467 times)

Packer Jim

Brined vs Injected Turkey Breasts
« on: November 16, 2013, 06:13:12 PM »
I'm doing a test run today in preparation for next weekend and trying two recipes I found on here to see which I like best. The tbs are about 3 lb each, I put them at 225 with 1.6 oz of apple wood. 

For the first one I used a cajun injection with the below rub. 

Rub:
2T black pepper
2T salt
1.5 t old bay
.75 t onion powder
.75 t garlic powder

For the second one I brined it for 5 hours and then used mayo with the same rub and then topped it with bacon. 
Brine:
1 gallon
12 oz apple juice
1 C salt
2T old bay
1T rosemary
1T thyme

We're at 3 hours now, and since I don't have a digital thermometer yet, I'm holding off until 3.5 to check the temp.  I'll keep you posted!

McSev2010

Re: Brined vs Injected Turkey Breasts
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 12:49:04 PM »
Everything is better with bacon, mayo and brining  :)  My husband won't let me make a turkey breast any other way!

cwshiles

• Get out there and Smoke it!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 02:02:12 PM »
How did it go Jim? 
I am about to do a test run of turkey breast for next week also.
Charlie from MD
Smokin it Model #3 with Cart
Auber 1503, Maverick ET-733, iGrill

es1025

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 08:29:56 AM »
Jim
what I have read is you don't want to add salt in your rub if you are brining a bird. The bird could be over salted.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Packer Jim

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 05:51:45 PM »
So I forgot to take pictures... oops. But overall both turned out really well.  The brined one was incredibly juicy and not too salty at all, even with the salt in the rub.  Of course I really like salt to an unhealthy level so that could play a role in it.  The smoke flavor was not very strong in the brined turkey and that could be for a couple reasons.  1.  The bacon seemed to absorb a lot of that flavor (and was delicious, by the way) and 2. It was on the top rack so the bottom tb may have gotten the majority.

Speaking of which, tb #2 was also quite good. The cajun flavor was great and while it wasn't as moist as the first, it was still quite tastey.

I think I'm going to go with both this Saturday as they were both quite good.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 07:51:14 PM »
Way to go, Jim!  Nice "outside the box" thinking!  Just curious...were the breasts injected with solution from the processor?  I find it really hard to find turkeys and/or TBs that aren't injected with a salt solution.  In my mind, that has to effect a difference in brining, but I don't know for sure.  And yes, the bacon did block the smoke.  ;D   Been there, done that!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Packer Jim

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 06:39:16 PM »
I checked the breasts (as well as my two full turkeys tomorrow) and they didn't say anything about a pre-injection.  Of course, I might just not be looking in the right spot, I'm not sure.  Regardless, I didn't feel like either was too salty.... but again, sodium and I get along quite well.  Unfortunately, my two full turkeys for tomorrow won't both fit into the #2 so I'll just put the bacon-topped one in my oven since the smoke effect is lost largely anyway. 

Any thought on how long a 16 pound turkey at 225 will take to get to 165 IT?  I want to be sure to leave enough time before the company comes, but not so much where I have to keep it warm for multiple hours and dry it out.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 07:09:19 PM »
If they're injected with solution, it's usually on the bottom of the label, below all the stuff most people look at (in the "fine print").   :(
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!