Author Topic: First time doing beans....a few questions...updates..  (Read 2182 times)

G man

• Gordon Radford Photography
First time doing beans....a few questions...updates..
« on: March 05, 2016, 05:52:37 PM »
Smoking a Butt and am going to do the beans below the butt.

I soaked about 2 pounds of beans...(which I think yields about 6 pounds) and have them in a stainless steel container....I plan to have it below the butt to catch drippings.  So, my questions are:

Can you overcook beans @ 225?

How much of the drippings should I allow? 

All the peppers, onions etc are raw.....so I"m expecting moisture release from them.  The stock is "soupy"...I added about 1.5 cups of BBQ sauce, about 3/4 cup dijon, and 2/3 cup tequila liqueur...(Agavero...if you've never tried it, it is the only 100% de Agave tequila liqueur around)...I'm thinking it is going to be great with the beans....Should I expect much if any evaporation?  If so, leave uncovered for three hours then cover?  I prefer my beans on the thicker side....

I was talking a while back with an owner of a BBQ rest who had catered an event I was at and he told me he leaves his beans on the pit for three days!  I'm going to put them in about 630pm tonight......

Thanks guys...and gal. 

UPDATE...

The beans have been in uncovered for 11.5 hours.  A bit thick on top, but after a quick stir, they had a great consistency.  Almost perfect...Thick where they will stick to a fork.  So, no issues with cooking them for this long.  However, Still another 7 hours or so till eating, so I tossed in a can of beer to keep them from drying out.....
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 07:41:35 AM by G man »
Gordo
50 Miles West of St. Louis, Misery
#2,  and Master Forge Big Green Vertical Charcoal Smoker, (it is now for sale!)