Author Topic: Re: Greg's Santa Maria Pinquito Beans (using Pinto Beans)  (Read 3637 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Greg's Santa Maria Pinquito Beans (using Pinto Beans)
« on: October 24, 2015, 09:12:19 AM »
After seeing Tony post his recipe for Pinquito beans I thought this would be perfect match with brisket.

I made a few changes in to the recipe and overall I think they turned out great. I was unable to find Pinquito beans locally, so I used Mexican Red Pinto beans. They are a bit larger and take longer to get tender but they work just fine.

Thanks again to Divotmaker (Tony) for the recipe.

Smoked Santa Maria Pinquito Beans

Ingredients:
•   1 lb. pinquito or red pinto beans
•   1 large sweet onion (diced)
•   1 t. minced garlic
•   1 10 oz. can Rotel Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
•   1 10 oz. can mild LaVictoria Red Enchilada Sauce
•   6 slices of thick cut bacon (cubed into ½” squares
•   ½ t. Guajillo Chili Powder
•   ½ t. sea salt
•   ¼ t. ground black pepper
•   2 T. brown sugar
•   1 can Dos Equis Beer

Preparation:

Add beans to 8 cups of water to a pot, bring to a boil for 2 minutes, remove from heat, cover and let stand overnight.
Drain beans and rinse, add beans back to the pot and add enough water to cover the beans with 2” of water. Bring the beans back to a boil and then simmer for 2-3 hours or until hours. Once beans are tender drain the beans.

While beans are simmering, add bacon to a nonstick pan and brown. Remove the bacon from the pan and place on paper towels. Leaving 1-2 tablespoons of bacon grease in the pan add the onions, garlic and cook over medium heat until the onions are translucent. Next add the diced tomatoes, enchilada sauce, chili powder, bacon, sugar and salt and pepper. Simmer for 30 minutes and then remove from heat.
In a 1/2 Size Foil Steam Table Pan, add the beans, sauce and the can of beer.

Smoker:
Set the smoker to 225 degrees and smoke for 90 minutes at 225 degrees with 1.1 oz. of cherry and 1.2 oz. kiawe. Open the door, stir the beans and then continue to smoke for another 90 minutes.

Greg
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 05:23:57 PM by gregbooras »

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Re: Greg's Santa Maria Pinquito Beans
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 12:05:50 PM »
That looks real tasty, Greg!  Well done.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Re: Greg's Santa Maria Pinquito Beans
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 12:19:33 PM »
That looks real tasty, Greg!  Well done.

They turned out great and we will be having this with the Franklin Brisket I brought back from Texas last month.

If you notice in my modified recipe, I did not use much chili powder. The LA Victoria Mild Enchilada sauce is pretty spicy if you taste it from the can.  After water the second ingredient is red chiles, so if you don't like a lot of heat I would suggest using half a can, you can always add more!

Also the pinto beans seem to take a long time to really soften, my wife thought this morning they were still to hard. So I have them in a dutch oven right now until they tender up a bit.

Next time also I do this recipe, I would like to try the Pinquito Beans, if I can find them :)

Anyways, I don't want to steel Tony's thread, but thought since it was based on his recipe, this was a good place to post. 

Greg

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Greg's Santa Maria Pinquito Beans
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 05:22:49 PM »
I really would like to do this recipe again using the Lompoc Pinquito Beans that Tony used. I found them online and placed an order.

I ended up buying the Lompoc Beans, Great Northern beans and 6-bean soup beans. I wanted to buy some black beans since I use them weekly but they are out of stock.

If you are looking for the beans, you can find them at the link below:

http://lompocbeans.com/bean_products.htm

Greg
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 05:36:54 PM by gregbooras »

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 06:12:14 PM »
I also ordered 15 pounds of beans from Lompoc last week, based on Tony's delicious-looking Pinquito Beans recipe. I also found they were out of many of my favorites, but managed to fill the standard shipping box with 5 pounds of pinquito beans, and a variety of other beans. I will probably share some with friends.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 06:16:11 PM »
I also ordered 15 pounds of beans from Lompoc last week, based on Tony's delicious-looking Pinquito Beans recipe. I also found they were out of many of my favorites, but managed to fill the standard shipping box with 5 pounds of pinquito beans, and a variety of other beans. I will probably share some with friends.

Kari,

I plan to share some of my pinquito beans with my good friend next door and the 6 bean mix will most likely be Xmas presents for friends.

Looks like they should have black beans later this year and I would like to order a batch of them.

Greg