Author Topic: Rubbery skin on whole chicken  (Read 3967 times)

EarlT

Rubbery skin on whole chicken
« on: February 06, 2017, 12:34:00 AM »
Greetings,First let me say how glad I am that this forum is here. It is one of the reasons I bought a Smokin it smoker. My first cook was a whole chicken. Set thermostat to 250, cooked until internal temperature was 165 degrees. The meat was great but the skin was uneatable. Very rubbery. Could it be the quality of the bird or should preparation be different? Thanks in advance. 
It is better to be quiet and someone think you a fool, than to open your mouth and leave no doubt.

va_rider

Re: Rubbery skin on whole chicken
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 10:22:54 AM »
So, on a model 1, without an external controller (the Auber) 250degrees will be your cap for high end of temp. To get crispy skin, you really need to be higher. The low and slow method will pretty much always yield rubbery skin on Chicken and Sausage and whatnot. With an Auber, you can push the temps up to the 300-325 range on other models... I'm not 100% familiar with the capability of the heating element in the #1, but hopefully, someone else will chime in who is.

My way for doing chicken and other things where I'm trying to avoid rubbery skin is to do a split cook. Basically, smoke the meat up to 70-80% of desired finished temperature, then finish on the grill. This is normally the way I do wings, and the way I've done spatchcocked chickens.  For wings, I smoke for about a half hour (That's a half hour of smoke production) for whole chickens or chicken quarters/halves I'll smoke for 45min to an hour. Then, finish on the grill.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

Meatball

• Smoke it if you got it ....
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 11:01:56 AM »
If I am not mistaken , The 1 has a 400 watt heating element compared to an 800 in the number 2 model , the 3 has a 1200 watt and the 4 has a 1500 watt . Most folks on here would recommend discarding the skin on poultry coming out of the smoker unless using a second heating source such as a oven or grill to finish with.
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 05:22:07 PM »
I tend to take mine out of the smoker about 10 degrees before done and finish in the oven or grill depending on if I am cooking parts or whole chicken. Or sometimes I just throw it away.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 06:03:32 PM »
Skin and chicken in these smokers has been talked about a lot.   You need higher heat for the crispy skin, or a way to finish it after the smoke.   Finish on grill or oven or broiler before it hits temp.

NDK nailed it.
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 06:13:40 PM »
Every post previous to me has great advice. Don't get me wrong, I love crispy chicken skin, and I have a #1. I feel the fat from the skin gets too rendered at 250 to leave enough fat to crisp properly on the grill or under the broiler, but you should definitely give it a try and see if it works for you. I feel the skin ends up thin and "papery", and tough. Fact is, the meat is so moist and delicious, you will not miss the skin. See my signature line below for suggestions on what to do with it.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

EarlT

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 10:36:22 PM »
Thanks for all the advice. I will try to put it to good use. The bottom line is that the meat was delicious.
It is better to be quiet and someone think you a fool, than to open your mouth and leave no doubt.

Meatball

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 01:37:25 AM »
 Wonder if anyone smoked a turkey and did a quick flash fry?
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 07:53:18 PM »
Smoked turkey breast is great.  I throw out the skin, leftovers for a good time!   Everytime people rave over it.   

Never tried a fry.
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Meatball

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 08:34:41 PM »
We don't do a lot of fried food at our house but we did 7 fried turkeys this past Thanksgiving for friends that turned out well.
I prefer smoking over the frying. 
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector