Author Topic: Unknown reading on model 2D when smoking chicken wings  (Read 3737 times)

SmokinSusie-Q

Unknown reading on model 2D when smoking chicken wings
« on: January 30, 2017, 05:54:33 PM »
 For the first time, I decided to try a 2 step program smoking chicken wings.  Step 1 with setting at  245 went fine.  I increased the temperature in step 2 to 350 for 20 minutes as suggested by Steve Raichlen to crisp the skin.  When the temperature hit 290, the smoker beeped.  The setting  read "AH1" on the left side and 290 on the right and continually blinked.  I immediately cut the smoker off and reset the temperature to 350, thinking I must have messed up the 2nd step somehow.  Again, the smoker beeped at 290 with the same "AH1" alert and blinking. 

Can anyone explain what happened and why?  Is my smoker alright?  Why would it not go past 290?  Please help!
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Unknown reading on model 2D when smoking chicken wings
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 06:48:48 PM »
Sue, the smokers have internal high temperature alarms that you can reset. They are set at the 290 limit for the non D models. So nothing wrong with your smoker. Just need to make an adjustment to the high temp limit alarm setting
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 07:31:50 PM »
Sue, the smokers have internal high temperature alarms that you can reset. They are set at the 290 limit for the non D models. So nothing wrong with your smoker. Just need to make an adjustment to the high temp limit alarm setting

I'm not sure I understand. . .mine is a D model so I assume it is also set at 290.  I have no idea how to adjust the alarm setting.  Do I adjust it to the limit of safety, which is noted as 375 in the directions that came with my smoker?
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 08:36:30 PM »
290 might just be an arbitrary factory setting but not critical to the answer you are looking for.  I would reset to something that you don't think you will ever exceed in your smoking or as you mentioned, the factory safety limit of the smoker.  If you don't see the step by step how to in your controller manual, there have been threads on here listing how to do it. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 08:47:25 PM »
Sue,

The controller is factory-set to a high-temp alarm at 290.  Press and hold the SET button until Lck appears in the left window.  Then, put 155 in the right window (+/- buttons).  Each time you press SET, the next program parameter will appear.  You are looking for AH1.  When you land on it, put 375 in the right window, and press SET again.  I would also recommend setting the AH2 (probe 2) high limit to 210, not the factory preset of 200. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 12:00:31 PM »
Sue,

The controller is factory-set to a high-temp alarm at 290.  Press and hold the SET button until Lck appears in the left window.  Then, put 155 in the right window (+/- buttons).  Each time you press SET, the next program parameter will appear.  You are looking for AH1.  When you land on it, put 375 in the right window, and press SET again.  I would also recommend setting the AH2 (probe 2) high limit to 210, not the factory preset of 200.

I can't thank you enough, DM, for the info.  If you were living closer, I'd invite you for my next smoke and some wine!  Hopefully, it would be better than my wings, which were terrible.  Tossed them after one meal!  :(
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 09:15:52 PM »
That's really nice, Sue!  We Southerners have to stick together!  Hope the settings worked out for you.  If not, let me know so I can help!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

welloffman

Re: Unknown reading on model 3D when smoking chicken wings
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 03:27:23 PM »
Hello,
I have tried to find a link to the Auber PID Temperature Control manual for the model used on the SI #3D referenced in several of these entries, but cannot locate them. I saw the instructions for AH1 and AH2 in your post, but would like to download the manuals that go with the unit. I have looked in the manual provided with the unit, but other that setting up cooking programs, it does not cover instructions to set the high temperatures on the two probes.
Thank you in advance for providing a link to the manual!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 09:12:51 PM »
welloffman - Here is the link to the manual at the Auber site.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus