Author Topic: Sirloin strip roast  (Read 3994 times)

40 caliber

Sirloin strip roast
« on: November 20, 2016, 05:56:02 PM »
I got a  boneless sirloin strip roast. I had never cooked one of these before so i watched a couple you tube videos and gave it heck. This was by  far one of the easiest things I ever cooked with my smoker. it made ribs look hard!.. 
I took this 4lb roast and covered it in Salt, Pepper and Garlic. I then added Montreal steak seasoning liberally and put it in the fridge for an hour.  It came out and went into my 3D at 250 degrees with a temp target of 120. i intended to let it rest for an hour and bring the temp up on its own to 125 - 130. I also used 6 ounces of Hickory wood from Smokinlicous.

it was done in about 2 hours although i expected 3. As it is cold in the Northeast now, i didn't hear the smoker alarm go off. At 2 hours and 15 minutes I went to check the temp and it was done!  the  temp read 133 when i brought it in. Covered it and 30 minutes later hit it with a probe and it read 137.... sat down to a delightful dinner with perfection. I am actually glad it happened this way as i like where it ended up. Tender, moist, a little hickory taste and its all good.. All that is  left are these pictures.  ;D

Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Sirloin strip roast
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 06:18:46 PM »
Looks fantastic! Nice even pink color from center to edge.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 06:12:25 PM »
Nice looking roast Tom! I love doing reverse sere on my roasts. Working on aging a prime rib for Christmas that I intend to do that way.  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Durangosmoker

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 12:24:07 AM »
That is making me seriously hungry! Well done.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 10:25:10 PM »
Very appetizing!! :P
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Nimrod

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 08:36:02 PM »
Agreed Tom, that looks D-lish and Im going to go find one and try it!
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2
Weber Genesis and one shop built offset (certified) sanctuary for red wasps

40 caliber

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 05:29:22 AM »
thanks guys! just to let you know, i tried another one. this time i pulled right at 120 and it was too rare. ( i can eat it mooing).  I learned that 130 is the ticket! It's a good time to pull with a target of 135-137.  sometimes your accidents turn out better than the plan!
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

Murphy88

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 04:54:23 PM »
I have always cooked just on a charcoal grill with flavor chips but I went and bought a Oklahoma Joe's smoker and I got a 10lb sirloin tip roast I decided to use wood only (just wanted to try it ) I used hickory and it's been on for about 3 hours at between 270 and 300 I can tell by the firmness it's nowhere near done but was wondering if anyone had any tips or experience to keep me from getting this close and ruining it

Murphy88

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 04:59:01 PM »
This is what I've got so far

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 05:20:54 PM »
If you don't have a good meat thermometer or any meat thermometer, run to the store and at least invest in a $10 thermometer.  Getting the internal temp wrong is the only thing now standing between you and success. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

40 caliber

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 09:45:44 PM »
Dave's got that right! the other  thing i learned is the importance of the rest!.. maybe that is a no brainer for most of you but i kept thinking the meat was too rare because it was "bloody" when i cut into it. the  reality is I didn't give the juices enough time to flow back into the full roast. when i cut into it , i thought it was too rare..not the case!
Tom From NH