Author Topic: Just got my 2d in Kuwait!  (Read 2765 times)

Moscowbni

Just got my 2d in Kuwait!
« on: October 22, 2016, 11:55:32 AM »
Can't believe it.  I just received my 2d in Kuwait.  Shipping through a 3rd party was costly, but some things are worth it.  No damage, screwed the wheels on, and fired it up for the break-in fire up right away.  So easy, so sturdy.  2 hours left to burn in...now I can't wait to try to smoke something.  Not too sure what to try first (no pork is allowed in Kuwait), and am open to suggestions or recipes.

And a big thanks to Steve, who patiently answered all my questions before I finally pulled the trigger and ordered it
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 11:59:31 AM by Moscowbni »
Stephen.  First time smoker owner, but now getting the hang of it.  Transplanted from the USA to Kuwait.  2d, Weber Genesis Gas Grill, enjoying learning how to make new stuff.

drains

Re: Just got my 2d in Kuwait!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 01:42:13 PM »
Welcome from Texas Stephen! This is the farthest I have ever heard of an SI smoker traveling.  No pork, no problem, there are a multitude of meats to smoke not to mention cheese and nuts, the list is pretty long. Is turkey and chicken available? Except for the skin these smoker turn out some exceptional poultry. You might want to read up on using brine to keep your birds juicy. I dont know if brisket is available there but perhaps roasts and beef ribs are an option. I'm sure others will chime in with their suggestions shortly. What is the weather like there?
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

Moscowbni

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 03:11:37 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.  I did my research and felt that this was the best smoker for me.  Can't say that I know anyone else here that smokes.

Weather is just getting nice.  Bout 96 during the day cooling off to 70 in the evenings.  When winter hits it gets cold here.  Last year I needed to use my jacket.

I've seen beef ribs, ribeye roasts, wagyu, and even brisket.  But the brisket seemed rather thin, is that normal? Birds are here but seem more natural and lean, turkey, chicken, duck. Birds from local and Europe, beef from Brazil, Newzealand, and Australia. Tasty.

I fish a lot, and end up with some big hauls.  Too many queen fish to count.  Occasionally a good sized grouper. Looking forward to cold and hot smoking them for some variety.

Cheers!

Stephen.  First time smoker owner, but now getting the hang of it.  Transplanted from the USA to Kuwait.  2d, Weber Genesis Gas Grill, enjoying learning how to make new stuff.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 12:49:52 AM »
Stephen - Welcome from SE Arizona.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Durangosmoker

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 12:53:12 PM »
Welcome from NY's Hudson Valley
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 03:51:13 PM »
I sort of would have guessed no pork over there~!  No comment..................

Does SPAM count?   

There are some nice easy smoked shrimp recipes that turn out well in the smoker.
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 10:16:56 AM »
Welcome from ND Stephen! Regardless of what you smoke, you have started with a primo smoker. So, you are bound to produce some great results.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 08:15:18 PM »
Welcome, Stephen!  I'm pretty sure you are the farthest "4-corners of the globe" that an SI has traveled, so Congrats on that!!  For me, it would be pure torture to live in a land that I couldn't smoke pork, with an SI smoker available! :o   But, like Gregg said, you will do well with whatever other choices you have available!  You have the best smoker to get 'er done!

I look forward to pics of your smokes, and surroundings!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 12:22:29 PM »
Stephen, welcome from Colorado. Can't wait to see your results!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 11:01:58 PM »
I predict you will make many new friends!
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide