Author Topic: Things I should have done when smokin meat! Oops!  (Read 4644 times)

ZoomByU

Things I should have done when smokin meat! Oops!
« on: October 17, 2016, 11:02:35 AM »
Relatively new to the forum and have done only a couple of smokes. Anyways, I thought this would be a great learning topic.
 1. On my first smoke, I forgot to put tinfoil on top of smoke box. Ugh! Those drippings burn on!
 2. Got my Smokinlicious wood and purchased 3 plastic containers to put wood in. I was thinking it would keep wood from getting too dry. Then I read the Smokinlicious directions. Oops! Directions say "never store the wood in a plastic container that does not have air holes."

I'm sure I will have more as I go, but thought you guys could share some of your wisdom and stories so learning curve is smaller. Thanks in advance!!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 11:05:07 AM by ZoomByU »
Greg - ND
Model 2, Maverick ET-733

SmokedGouda

Re: Things I should have done when smokin meat! Oops!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 09:01:03 PM »
I'm also very new here and to smoking in general and have learned a lot from these forums in my short time. I bought small plastic containers for my wood too, but I waited till I got the wood before buying them so I was able to get ones with holes luckily. Just cut a few holes on all sides and leave the tops off, that should be good.
One mistake I made was for brining and luckily it didn't go too badly. If you haven't brined anything yet but plan on doing so, buy a container... I stuffed a Boston butt in a 2 gallon ziplock bag with over a gallon of water. Managed to prop it up in a drawer of our fridge so it didn't tip over and pop the seal. Had some minor leaks but it stayed in the drawer so the wife didn't kill me. I bought a brining container on Amazon that day. The container was so much better the last time I brined. If you buy one, make sure to check the measurements to make sure it'll fit in your fridge.
Phil from NJ
Beginner.
Model 2. Cold smoke plate. Jerky dryer.
Maverick ET-732

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 06:42:21 PM »
When I first transitioned to the SI smoker from my previous smoker I eyeballed wood for a while.  I learned real quickly the value of a digital scale.  Smoking on other smokers can be an art.  Smoking on an SI can involve some science. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 08:05:56 PM »
Hey Greg,

Have you downloaded the Lazy Q e-book yet?  That has a lot of the tips you're looking for.  Fortunately, the learning curve is actually pretty small, thanks to the simplicity of these smokers!  90% of my effort goes to meat prep, not the smoking process.  Once you learn the basics of what will give you the best results, as far as prep, you will get good results!  The right preparation, proper wood choice/amount and time/temperature selection will make you a Pit Master in no time flat!

I would like to say it will come with all the first smokes, but it won't.  It does take a little elbow grease and experience, which is the fun part! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

smokinwannabee

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 10:51:02 AM »
Can relate as I was in the same boat earlier this year.  Biggest advise is to listen and apply the great knowledge of the experts here on the forum.  My learning curve was much quicker than anticipated due to their willingness to share quality information and knowledge in a prompt manner.  Love their subtle - and sometimes not so subtle humor - on the forum.  My enthusiasm rubbed off on my brother-in-law to the point he couldn't stand it anymore - he had to have his own smoker.  Not a Smokin-It, but another model and he loves figuring experimenting on his own now.  Smelling the great hickory smoke as I speak and look forward to some brisket later today.
Jeff.  Colorado

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 05:03:53 PM »
Not a SI, Jeff?  Too bad... :(   What did he get?
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

smokinwannabee

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 11:28:42 PM »
Not sure what he purchased.  I'm in Colorado, he's in Indiana and he purchased just a few weeks ago.  Sung the praises of the SI and pictures look like perhaps a Masterbuilt or similar smoker.   
Jeff.  Colorado

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 05:25:01 PM »
Not sure what he purchased.  I'm in Colorado, he's in Indiana and he purchased just a few weeks ago.  Sung the praises of the SI and pictures look like perhaps a Masterbuilt or similar smoker.
Too bad. Hope it works out okay. Everyone I've talked to that has bought a MB has said it has failed in some way within a year, often within a few months. Sigh... ???
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 09:22:40 PM »
He'll eventually see the error of his ways, Jeff... ???   Sad, but it's doomed to fail sooner than it should.
Tony from NW Arkansas