Author Topic: Bacon wrapped hot dogs  (Read 6656 times)

LBC LazyQ

Re: Bacon wrapped hot dogs
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2016, 12:09:16 PM »
The dogs were a big hit again and everyone got a chance to taste them as we had them on Friday.  I ended up hiding 11 of them so I would have a few to take home to the family.:o  This was my second time with the hot dogs and learned a bit about making them better.  In a post above ibbones tried them and they did not come out awesome and I was trying to figure out what was different, besides personal taste.

I found the original recipe and it says to smoke the dogs 2-3 hours, but recommends 3 hours to allow more time for the bacon to cook.  I put Baby Rays bbq sauce on the dogs after 2 1/2 hours and then cook for an additional 30 minutes.  I skimped a little on the bbq sauce on the first 48 dogs and had the heat at 250 to get them done faster and they came out a little dry.  I lathered up the second set with more sauce and turned the temp back to the recommended 240 and they came out awesome again.

So for me, it's go the full 3 hours at 240 and don't skimp on the sauce at 2 1/2 hours.

I am very thankful for my wife's help.  I would never have the patience to crank out 96 of these for anyone.;D  We were driving home last evening and she said her hands still had a yellow tinge from the mustard.:o

Steve from Warwick, NY
Smokin-it Model 2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2016, 08:48:22 PM »
We were driving home last evening and she said her hands still had a yellow tinge from the mustard. :o

Sounds like a great success!  Surprise your invaluable prep-cook with a box of nitrile exam gloves!  She will never again have hands stained with mustard or rub!  I use them on every meat prep.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

40 caliber

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2016, 02:26:28 PM »
ok this is an awesome idea. i am off all this week and will try it.
so it is that simple?

mustard binder, wrap bacon over hot dog, add favorite pork rub,, cook then eat?

anything i am missing?

also how does one add cheddar? do you just put it on the dog before wrapping or is there some way to inject it? or is there a cheddar filled dog? i honestly dont care for hot dogs that much but  this may change my mind!

what wood do you suggest? hickory? maple? other
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

40 caliber

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2016, 10:05:36 AM »
OK, you guys, I'm in..  I am on vacation this week and in smoker heaven. I have already smoked chicken wings (again, see my other post) and bought a pork butt and sirloin roast for later in the week.  but right now i am catching up on smoked bacon wrapped dogs. they just went in the smoker with cherry wood.  I have bad byron's butt rub on half and  killer hoggs on the other. byron is quite salty. killer hoggs sweet. I'll see you  in 3 hours with the results

Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

40 caliber

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2016, 01:24:02 PM »
wow that was an epic fail. I couldnt even bring myself to take pics. These dogs and bacon were ready to be carbon dated. They were black and so burnt it was terrible. I thought 240 for  3 hours seemed like too long but i went with it. i have trained myself not to check this smoker except for box temp  and internal temp.

Granted i didn't do 48 dogs i only did 16 but the 3D stayed right on temp as required.  Anyway, not sure where the mix up was. I am not big on bacon or dogs (The heresy!!) so i probably wont try it again. I think i could have been there in 2 hours or less. I get the recipe said 2-3 but how to know?

Tom From NH

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2016, 03:47:21 PM »
Bacon wrapped hot dogs need to be deep fried, they will turn out great.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2016, 09:30:14 PM »
Bacon wrapped hot dogs need to be deep fried, they will turn out great.

Oh yeah!!  I never have bacon-wrapped them, but deep-fried dogs are incredible!  If folks haven't tried these, they need to!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!