Author Topic: Brined Pork Butt for Pulled Pork  (Read 232339 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Brined Pork Butt for Pulled Pork
« Reply #255 on: February 08, 2017, 10:18:23 PM »
Absolutely STELLAR, Jason!  Gotta love some brined butts!  I, too, find Byron's a little saltier than Dave's rub.  I like them both, but prefer Dave's.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

ZoomByU

« Reply #256 on: February 16, 2017, 04:26:11 PM »
Gotta say it- Tony nailed it on this recipe! Can't get enough of it and about to pull a couple more Boston Butts out of the #2. When you prefer to eat it without any BBQ sauce, you know it's darn good. I have been using Jim Baldridge's seasoning and like it so well that I'm finding it hard to try anything else. For you guys that have tried different rubs, is there much difference in taste or is most of the flavor coming from the brining process? I have 2 more Butts in the freezer from Sam's. I just need to discipline myself to try a couple different rubs next time.
Greg - ND
Model 2, Maverick ET-733

lukeface

« Reply #257 on: March 13, 2017, 10:29:57 AM »
JUST in case there hasn't been enough feedback yet  ;) I can vouch for this brine.  Did a few butts without brines, and they were awesome, but this helped take it to another level.  I'll be brining whenever I feasibly can.  It certainly helped keep it more moist, and the little bit of pink salt really gives it that "traditional" look.  I can see where, you're smoking in a region not known for BBQ, you can probably get away without the pink salt depending on your guests.  But in a traditional region like KC, people are expecting to see it, and this helped a TON.
Luke
KCMO

SI 2D
Char-Griller Gas Grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #258 on: March 14, 2017, 07:57:51 PM »
Awesome feedback, Greg and Luke!  Great to hear you liked it!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

volscrazy65

« Reply #259 on: March 30, 2017, 10:05:46 PM »
Tony, I have a few questions please.  I can't find Instacure locally and have a butt for my first smoke this weekend.  If I leave it out of your recipe, do I need to add more salt to make up for it?  Does the amounts in your recipe work for any size butt? Mine is on the small side, a little over 6 lbs.  Do I need to leave it in the brine for a shorter time since it's small?  Dumb questions I know but I'm very new to smoking.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 10:44:10 PM by volscrazy65 »
John
Flintstone, GA
SI 3D
Weber Q 3200

Nimrod

« Reply #260 on: March 31, 2017, 02:21:30 PM »
Welcome John!
I would never attempt to speak for Tony but as today is Friday you need to get that butt brining :)

No dumb questions here and I'm sure you'll get it right but you can skip the Instacure without  supplementing added salt.  The recipe amount is "one size fits (almost) all" so your 6 lb butt will be happy.  I think the main goal is you have enough volume to keep whatever size cut of meat you have, completely submerged in the brine.  Time wise, you could probably get away with brining for a little less time but IMO it won't adversely impact the butt to leave it in there the full time.  I normally do mine overnight or longer and sometimes thats 10 hours sometimes 14.  Rinsing afterwards removes the excess salt.  One thing many people find on smaller cuts of meat is that the smoking time may actually take longer so use a good thermometer and allow a little extra time if possible.  If it finishes early, then follow Tony's guidelines on wrapping and holding in a cooler packed in towels.

Good luck and let us know how it comes out!
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2
Weber Genesis and one shop built offset (certified) sanctuary for red wasps

volscrazy65

« Reply #261 on: April 01, 2017, 04:50:53 PM »
Welcome John!
I would never attempt to speak for Tony but as today is Friday you need to get that butt brining :)

No dumb questions here and I'm sure you'll get it right but you can skip the Instacure without  supplementing added salt.  The recipe amount is "one size fits (almost) all" so your 6 lb butt will be happy.  I think the main goal is you have enough volume to keep whatever size cut of meat you have, completely submerged in the brine.  Time wise, you could probably get away with brining for a little less time but IMO it won't adversely impact the butt to leave it in there the full time.  I normally do mine overnight or longer and sometimes thats 10 hours sometimes 14.  Rinsing afterwards removes the excess salt.  One thing many people find on smaller cuts of meat is that the smoking time may actually take longer so use a good thermometer and allow a little extra time if possible.  If it finishes early, then follow Tony's guidelines on wrapping and holding in a cooler packed in towels.

Good luck and let us know how it comes out!
Thanks Nimrod.  I've read that here on the forum several time about smaller cuts may take longer.  I don't understand that at all.
John
Flintstone, GA
SI 3D
Weber Q 3200

azbohunter

• I eat, therefore I hunt and fish!
« Reply #262 on: February 14, 2018, 07:01:51 PM »
So I decided to try a brined BB and I put it in the brine bag and fridge about 3PM, if I decide to try to put into the smoker before I got to bed, what is the minumum time that will be adaquate for the 8#er. I know that is a subjective question but if I say 10 hours will that be enough time for the brine to work its magic?
Glendale, AZ 8 months of the year and then 4 months where ever the fish are biting best, usually along the Columbia River in Oregon.
I eat, therefore I hunt and fish! Hopefully I will learn to smoke some of it!

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #263 on: February 14, 2018, 07:20:33 PM »
I do 13hrs usually for butts
Jason
>3D (my 1st ever smoker!) purchased 4/16
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Autocross and track day junkie
>Far Northern Indiana

azbohunter

« Reply #264 on: February 14, 2018, 08:32:43 PM »
I do 13hrs usually for butts

:o that would be 4AM.........guess I'll go to bed and get up at 5AM and in SI 3 by 6 then hope that it is a 12-14 hour smoke and not 16  :D Next time plan ahead a little better (note to myself)
Glendale, AZ 8 months of the year and then 4 months where ever the fish are biting best, usually along the Columbia River in Oregon.

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #265 on: February 14, 2018, 08:55:57 PM »
10hrs should be fine too if in a hurry
Jason
>3D (my 1st ever smoker!) purchased 4/16
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Autocross and track day junkie
>Far Northern Indiana

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #266 on: February 14, 2018, 10:00:44 PM »
Rule of thumb that I’ve always heard is an hour per pound in the brine. That being said, I’m usually in the 12 hour range myself.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #267 on: February 14, 2018, 10:44:52 PM »
If time is limited, cut the brine time short, and give the time to the smoke/rest. A well-brined undercooked or under-rested butt is not what you want. Remember, it is perfectly fine to smoke a butt without brining. There's lots of fat in there to keep it moist. If you are starting your smoke at 6 am, you might be eating pretty late, or might not have much time for a rest. A couple hours or more wrapped in foil, a towel, and into a cooler to rest does wonders. You can rest for 5-6 hours no problem.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

azbohunter

« Reply #268 on: February 14, 2018, 11:10:35 PM »
Thanks for all the input, I have decided to just get up early and get it in the smoker asap. Not actually planning it for dinner tommorrow but leaving for a 3 day camp/fishing trip and it will be meals while camping. That probably leaves me room I hope by getting it in no later than 6.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #269 on: February 14, 2018, 11:22:36 PM »
Thanks for all the input, I have decided to just get up early and get it in the smoker asap. Not actually planning it for dinner tommorrow but leaving for a 3 day camp/fishing trip and it will be meals while camping. That probably leaves me room I hope by getting it in no later than 6.

Oh yeah, you're fine then.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide