Author Topic: Turkey Wings  (Read 4837 times)

Sum1

Turkey Wings
« on: November 07, 2015, 07:52:08 PM »
Hi all,
Been searching everywhere for tips on turkey wings, and found none.
Can you please offer tips/recipes for smoking the best turkey wings? How (if at all) is smoking them different from smoking chicken wings?
Do you brine them (I don't brine chicken wings)? If yes, for how long? Any particular brine?
On what temp do you smoke them? Till which IT? Which wood?
Thanks in advance for any help!
Zvi from Brooklyn

AlinMA

• Al
Re: Turkey Wings
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 03:39:23 PM »
Hi all,
Been searching everywhere for tips on turkey wings, and found none.
Can you please offer tips/recipes for smoking the best turkey wings? How (if at all) is smoking them different from smoking chicken wings?
Do you brine them (I don't brine chicken wings)? If yes, for how long? Any particular brine?
On what temp do you smoke them? Till which IT? Which wood?
Thanks in advance for any help!
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2151.0
The above link is a good starting point for the smoke. If you do a search for the wings you should come up what ever has been posted on the forum.
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

Sum1

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 09:19:08 PM »
Thanks, AlinMA.

I couldn't find anything from searching the forum, but I did use the guide to get some info on IT, wood, etc.

I ended up doing the following, for 3 wings:

- This guy's marinade: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIUr_ys-Spc
- 2oz Hickory, till IT reached 165 (it reached faster than I thought, less than 2h).
- Finishing in oven, 30min at 375F.

I'm attaching a photo of the final result.

The verdict?
My wife didn't like it at all (but this was her first time tasting turkey wings, and she's a picky eater). I thought that the marinade was delicious, and overall the wings were good (and I think many people would like them as is), but they lacked just something to take them to the next level (perhaps a longer cooking period? different seasoning? I don't know). Thing is that I haven't had any turkey wings smoked by a real pro, so I don't know really what to aspire to.

So, while this recipe/method is good++, I'll still search for an even better one.

Zvi from Brooklyn

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 10:39:01 PM »
Hey Sum, the wings sure look good!  Now that you're showing us your smokes, how about sharing a first name and town in your signature line?  Great to know who our new family members are! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 11:49:17 PM »
Your turkey wings do look great. Turkey wings by nature are going to have a little more "chew" than chicken wings. So some people might not enjoy them if they make the association with the texture of chicken wings. Still delicious though.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 08:05:37 AM »
Wings look great, just need some dipping sauce :)

Greg

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 09:40:59 AM »
Great looking wings! I think your approach is right on.....Experimentation is the way to go. Not every ones tastes are the same. Also it may be helpful to start a log to track the variables in each Smoke.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 09:47:01 AM by AlinMA »
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

Sum1

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 12:54:13 AM »
Thank you all.
I added some info in my signature...
I'm working slowly but surely on getting the best results. Just the other day I tried 4 different methods of making chicken wings. And I take a lot of notes.
Once I think I got it pad down, I'll post the recipe..
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 12:56:30 AM by Sum1 »
Zvi from Brooklyn

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 12:06:06 PM »
Hey Zvi, thanks for the notes in the signature line and welcome from Kansas City. might I suggest some ribs in that smoker. Your family will love you for them.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 12:34:31 PM »
Zvi, I love turkey wings and those look great. Keep expanding your recipes. You will love the experience. Welcome from Colorado!  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Nola Belle

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 06:30:04 PM »
I did turkey legs sometime last year, and although they look burnt and awful, the rub looks that way when it is finished. I brined these and used apple wood. Let them go until the temperature probe said they were done. They were juicy on the inside and needed no dipping sauce. Instead they were paired with sweet potato mash :)