Author Topic: How to Bypass the Analog Controller  (Read 72414 times)

bigbassnutt

Re: How to Bypass the Analog Controller
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2014, 08:38:10 PM »
I wasn't doing an autotune, just wanted to get it up to temp to make sure I did everything right. The Maverick probe I just dropped in the hole so probable was a few inches from the permanent one. Still seems like when the Auber had the temp running steady at 270 it should have been close on the Maverick. I am waiting to do the autotune when I cook this weekend so will try it again then and see how it acts. I agree the Auber probes seem more reliable.
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2014, 08:44:11 PM »
Ok, Mike.  Just an "ops" check.  Just like for seasoning, I always recommend against any kind of temp readings with a truly empty box - they fluctuate incredibly.  I bet if you put the probes close to each other during the autotue, with meat/foil/water pan in place, you'll see very different results.  I'll be curious to see how that goes!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

bigbassnutt

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2014, 08:51:09 PM »
I will post the results of that. I was surprised each unit was staying really steady just off from each other. Seems like the Maverick was about 8 degrees off on previous cooks, not a huge thing but nice to know. I have a 10 lb pork loin in the fridge and gonna try making some baked beans.
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

Big Fish

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2014, 11:26:04 AM »
Found it Tony, Lol. Now where is that picture of the placement of the permanent probe?  ;-)

Big Fish

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2014, 04:11:56 PM »
Found that too. Hole size (drill bit) for the probe?

bigbassnutt

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2014, 07:44:18 PM »
5/16 drill bit size for the probe. I drilled a hole beside where the power cord goes out the bottom to route the wire, couldn't figure out how to get it to go out the same hole as the power cord. Tony, after opening the smoker I figured out why I had such a variance on temps, my maverick probe I just stuck down the hole and it went down and was resting on the smoke box, lol.
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

DivotMaker

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2014, 07:46:01 PM »
Sometimes the simple solutions evade us, Mike!  Just like not thinking of running the permanent probe wire out the power cord hole!! :o
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

bigbassnutt

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2014, 07:47:27 PM »
I wasn't sure how to get the grommet out and didn't want to break it so just made a second hole, its on the bottom so its not visible.
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

Big Fish

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2014, 12:49:32 AM »
You need(ed) to squeeze the cord holder a bit, turn it @180 degrees, then slide it up into the box. It then pulls apart and you can slide the probe around the back and squeeze it back together. I'm still auto tuning mine and it is taking some time. The directions need to be rewritten.

DivotMaker

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2014, 05:01:11 PM »
You need(ed) to squeeze the cord holder a bit, turn it @180 degrees, then slide it up into the box. It then pulls apart and you can slide the probe around the back and squeeze it back together. I'm still auto tuning mine and it is taking some time. The directions need to be rewritten.

I suggest reading the directions again.  The only correction that needs to be made is that it will read box temp when it starts, not 140.  Other than that, the instructions are correct.  I've performed autotunes several times.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Big Fish

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2014, 07:23:30 PM »
I had 3 people read it, one is a writter. Sorry, it didn't do what the instructions said. Someone else here had the issue with it.

e. Press SET again 4 more times, until the initial set temperature displays in the
left window (should be 140).

Nope, it said 80, so did someone else's here.

Once the autotune is complete, we recommend writing down the P, I and D settings.  To
retrieve these settings, go back into the PID setting menu the same way you did in step
3a above.

If you go back to 3a, you begin the tuning process all over again.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2014, 04:39:16 PM »
For those that follow, auto parts store and ACE Hardware carry a male X male splice connector that has a plastic sleeve over the spades.  It makes the bridge in one piece vs. multiple parts. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2014, 06:37:04 PM »
Good tip, Dave - thanks!
Tony from NW Arkansas

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2014, 05:36:28 PM »
What is the highest temp sustained cooks you've done after bypassing the controller? 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2014, 10:48:59 PM »
I've gone to 325 with no problems.  According to Steve, as SI, the box is rated good up to 350.
Tony from NW Arkansas