Author Topic: Cutting jig or electric slicer?  (Read 3408 times)

will615

Cutting jig or electric slicer?
« on: January 27, 2018, 07:46:09 PM »
I need your advice please. I am making venison jerky from steaks this weekend. The steaks are about 3/4" thick. I've sliced some (by hand) vertically and some horizontally trying to get a uniform thickness for the smoker. I need a better system. I'm trying to decide what is the best bang for the buck. Is it a cutting board with a jig or just a small meat slicer? Your thoughts please. Thanks!
Will, Nashville, TN
SI #1, Weber Smoky Mtn., Kilwell Fish Smoker, and an old New Braunfels offset smoker that makes great ribs regardless of the bad reviews!

Meatball

• Smoke it if you got it ....
Re: Cutting jig or electric slicer?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 01:06:38 PM »
I would suggest a slicer..... I bought a used one from a deli years ago and never regretted. Versatility was the deciding factor for me. 
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

will615

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 07:11:11 PM »
Thanks!
Will, Nashville, TN
SI #1, Weber Smoky Mtn., Kilwell Fish Smoker, and an old New Braunfels offset smoker that makes great ribs regardless of the bad reviews!

Judge

• Slowly learning to smoke great food !
Woodsfield Ohio - SI#2
Hunter, fisherman, golfer.

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 12:28:29 PM »
2nd the commercial slicer. If you buy used, make sure the traveling bed is parallel to the blade.  Buy a name brand so you can get replacement blades and other parts. I do a lot of bacon and a my 10 inch slicer can process most of them with minimal trimming. I found mine on Craigslist after searching for 3 months in my area.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

will615

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 07:33:25 PM »
Judge, Thanks for the Craigslist listing! Will take a look.
Will, Nashville, TN

Meatball

• Smoke it if you got it ....
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 12:28:42 AM »
2nd the commercial slicer. If you buy used, make sure the traveling bed is parallel to the blade.  Buy a name brand so you can get replacement blades and other parts. I do a lot of bacon and a my 10 inch slicer can process most of them with minimal trimming. I found mine on Craigslist after searching for 3 months in my area.

impressive set up.... very nice!
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector