Author Topic: First try was easy and delicious!  (Read 3434 times)

will615

First try was easy and delicious!
« on: January 12, 2018, 04:11:33 PM »
I got the James Jerky dryer fan for Xmas and tried it our yesterday. It was one of those experiences where you say "Why didn't I do this years ago?!"
I bought an eye of round roast (almost 3 lbs.) and had them slice it to 1/4" pieces. I used Hi Mtn. seasoning & cure, Original Blend. Sprinkled both sides and placed in tupperware for 24 hrs. When I took it out, there was a little bit of moisture on some pieces that (I think) I should have dried with paper towel. Outside temps never got out of the 20's. I used my #1, 2.5 racks of meat (Frogmats on 2 racks), and 1.5 oz of hickory chips. I set the smoker for 145 deg and let it go for 2 hours. After 2 hours, I simply turned on the James fan and set it on top of the smoker. I thought about removing the wood chip pan but chose not to. I did not turn the meat either. I gave it another 5 hours (same 145 deg), checked it, and it was bendable but not too dry. It tasted great! I am surprised by the shrinkage. In the attached photo, the racks were completely full when I started. For the same amount of effort, I might as well buy twice as much meat next time. I also plan to try venison. The venison steaks are a little tough usually so we put them in the crock pot. This should be a great alternative. I think the steaks are a little thicker than 1/4" so I will adjust the amount of cure. If I get really brave, I will try the equilibrium bath! If I use the bath, do I need any additional seasoning? Lastly, Happy New Year and if you don't have the jerky fan, you are missing out on some great smoked meat!
Will, Nashville, TN
SI #1, Weber Smoky Mtn., Kilwell Fish Smoker, and an old New Braunfels offset smoker that makes great ribs regardless of the bad reviews!

will615

Re: First try was easy and delicious!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 04:17:19 PM »
When I attached a photo, I got a server error. Will try to attach it to this post. Is it a size issue?
Will, Nashville, TN
SI #1, Weber Smoky Mtn., Kilwell Fish Smoker, and an old New Braunfels offset smoker that makes great ribs regardless of the bad reviews!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 09:11:23 AM »
Will the jerky looks great!
I will have to give this a try when my grand kids come out this summer.
Best Greg

TX Gent

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 10:30:10 AM »
Looking good Will.

I've only made Jerky in a dehydrator which always seems a bit more tough to the chew than I like. I'll look forward to trying this technique out in the future. Thanks for posting.
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

TexasSMK

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 09:02:36 PM »
James Jerky drier just moved higher on my wish list! That is some good look'n jerky
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 10:27:44 AM »
We have skipped the whole muscle jerky the past couple of deer seasons, because of the low number of licenses and as a result the low number of deer that my family has harvested. But, with some new blood (my two boys) starting to hunt in the past couple of years we finally got a better lottery result this year which netted 3 deer (2 bucks and a really big doe). So, we finally had enough meat to make some whole muscle jerky and wow was it good! I too use the High Mountain and/or High Country seasonings and have always had good luck with them.

Honestly, I have tried brines including the equilibrium brine and for me, I still prefer the High Mountain/Country seasonings better. But, as with many things that we do in the smoking world, this is a pretty subjective thing, so I would still recommend that you try several methods until you find the one that you like best. This is just my opinion.

My venison jerky did not last long, so I am going to have to make some beef jerky this year too. I have also made Pheasant, Duck, and Goose jerky with excellent results.

Man, I love this stuff!!!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Grampy

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 11:09:30 AM »
Looking good Will.

I've only made Jerky in a dehydrator which always seems a bit more tough to the chew than I like. I'll look forward to trying this technique out in the future. Thanks for posting.
TX Gent, I use a dehydrator to make jerky also. Here in south Arkansas we have a large deer population and a very liberal bag limit. (up to 6 deer per licensed hunter) I make a lot of jerky using ground deer meat. It is a great way to use the meat and it doesn't turn out as tough to chew as the whole muscle jerky does. Walton's has a lot of different jerky seasoning flavors and they are great. I order all of my jerky and snack stick seasonings from them. You can do the same thing with ground beef. Give it a try!
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

TX Gent

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 01:11:15 PM »
TYVM Grampy for the info and encouragement. I've purchased from Walton's many moons ago and will give it all a try soon.
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek