Author Topic: Brine-cured Beef Jerky with the James Jerky Dryer, "Part Deux!"  (Read 15885 times)

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
Re: Brine-cured Beef Jerky with the James Jerky Dryer, "Part Deux!"
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2015, 11:54:05 AM »
Thanks for all the info Tony, and have a wonderful weekend
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 01:31:01 PM »
Both wet and dry brines work well. I typically use the High Mountain and High Country Jerky mixes as they have really good flavor and a lot of different choices.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

bigfoot21075

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 03:38:24 PM »
Both wet and dry brines work well. I typically use the High Mountain and High Country Jerky mixes as they have really good flavor and a lot of different choices.

I have to say I got hooked on the High Mountain Garlic Pepper and Black Pepper Seasonings combined with a good shake of Baldridge. It is FANTASTIC! I use Flank Steak cut to 1/4" strips with the grain. I KNOW I am in the minority but I do not trim the fat unless it is a HUGE amount. That is often the best bite in the Jerky. I keep mine in the fridge anyway so it never has lasted more than 3 or 4 weeks and has never gone bad.
Large Big Green Egg, Natural Gas Weber, Weber Silver Kettle,  Roundboy Wood Fired  Pizza Oven, Smokinit #3

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 06:32:58 PM »
Bet that's good, Big!  The key to jerky, imo, is the use of curing salt, which your mixes contain. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2015, 03:24:11 PM »
I am still going to try doing 2 hrs. at 145 in the smoker then finish in my dehydrator. Since I have it and is just collecting dust.  ;)
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 07:59:39 PM »
Should work fine, Bill!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Tman

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2017, 08:48:45 AM »
Okay, think I am going to follow your process for my first jerky in my 4d. I was trying to avoid having to brine or cure but looking like I have no choice. I have a jerky dryer being shipped. One question that I hAve is do you recommend 150 during the whole 10 hours versus 140 and have you changed anything since this post?
Tate B.
Model 1, 2, now 4D.
Dallas, Texas

SmokedGouda

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2017, 09:44:51 AM »
Okay, think I am going to follow your process for my first jerky in my 4d. I was trying to avoid having to brine or cure but looking like I have no choice. I have a jerky dryer being shipped. One question that I hAve is do you recommend 150 during the whole 10 hours versus 140 and have you changed anything since this post?

Hey Tman I just got done with my first batch and I followed this post very closely and love the results. I set mine at around 145 (mark before 150 on Model 2) for the entire time and didn't mess with it and they turned out great. I'll be making small changes here and there but that's mainly just for flavor experimentation. This was a great tasting recipe and I think is perfect to be my "original" flavor.

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=6180.0
Phil from NJ
Beginner.
Model 2. Cold smoke plate. Jerky dryer.
Maverick ET-732

Tman

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2017, 07:03:10 PM »
thanks!
Tate B.
Model 1, 2, now 4D.
Dallas, Texas

polarlys

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2017, 04:15:33 PM »
Hi All.   This is an old thread I'd like to revive, if ya'll don't mind.   I, just yesterday, ordered the James dryer so I won't have it for the batch I'm making today.   I'll use my de-hydrator for this one and next week I'll use my 3d.   In the past I've had good results with what I made using the electric de-hydrator.   My question comes for next weeks batch.   I'd like to smoke it using the lowest temp and would like to know what should I expect the lowest temperature I can manage with my SI 3d to get smoke ?????   In my old rig I could easily do cold smoke and actually get no heat at all.  A few weeks ago I made some cold smoked salmon and using a Big Kahuna smoke generator and leaving the door open a crack worked pretty well.  Would I be better to do that and smoke my jerkey for awhile ???  Or close things up and use the heat ????

ThanX all. 
Roger from NJ
Roger from NJ
Somerset, NJ
retired Police Officer
retired Air Nat'l. Guard
US Army '69-'72 (20th Engineers Vietnam)
SI-3d

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2017, 01:30:13 PM »
I have no idea how you would set you D model to mimic what I do with and analog model.

In my #3, with chips in the fire box I crank the heat with the door open while I load the racks with meat. As soon as smoke is visible I cut the heat to 100 then close the smoker door. Most often I get smoke before I finish loading all the meat, five to eight minutes should be enough to get it started. Run the entire smoke at 100 with a jerky fan, you will be drying the meat not cooking it. After 3 hours open the smoker, flip the meat and rotate the shelves, add chips if necessary.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

polarlys

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2017, 04:14:43 PM »
ThanX Brian.   I think I can manage to do that on mine.  I haven't gotten the dryer yet.  It was supposed to be delivered today but the tracking info now says tomorrow.  I have 5# of beef marinating so I guess it will have to wait until tomorrow now.   The small batch I made using my de-hydrator came out pretty well so I'm looking forward to trying a batch in the 3d.  I'll be doing a bunch of ribs for the weekend so I'd like to get this done first. 
Roger from NJ
Somerset, NJ
retired Police Officer
retired Air Nat'l. Guard
US Army '69-'72 (20th Engineers Vietnam)
SI-3d