Author Topic: Two 10# Butts!  (Read 4887 times)

KY Smoke

• Smokin-it #3D Conversion
Two 10# Butts!
« on: July 28, 2015, 06:58:19 PM »
I know the subject sounds a little off subject, butt 😉....I'm looking for the "Hero's" help in determining how long I can expect to have two 10 lb butts in a #3 at 235 F?   I have very limited time this week, well..... most of the time....and need to plan out some good timing. 

Have already brined them for 14 hours.  Then injected, rubbed and wrapped them 8 hours ago.  My main problem is that I have calls I have to make tomorrow and won't be home until 2pm.  So when do you guys think I should put these babies in, to ensure that they aren't up to 195 F until I get home tomorrow? 

I need them done, pulled and completely frozen before we leave for vacation on Friday morning.  So any help you guys can provide, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.....Jeff
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 08:41:42 PM by KY Smoke »
Smokin-it #3D (Conversion) / Weber Genesis SPE310 / Anova WI-FI / Maverick 733 / iGrill 2
Jeff from Dry Ridge, KY

Grampy

Re: Two 10# Butts!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 08:11:31 PM »
The last 10# butts I cooked took about 12 hours to cook.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 08:21:26 PM »
Jeff, you know they're not going to take less than 1 hour per pound, so 4 am, at the earliest, or 5 am.  They may not be done, when you get home, but should be between 3-8 pm (1 to 1.5 hours/pound).  I think you'd be safe starting at 5 am.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 08:28:46 PM »
I agree, 10-14 hours, plan to get up early to get the butts in.

Greg

KY Smoke

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 08:38:02 PM »
Thanks guys, but just want to time it to make sure they don't finish before I get home.  A few hours after is totally fine.   Just to make sure though Tony, we're talking 20lbs of meat total.  You just gauge off of the weight of each butt with this smoker, and figure on 1-1.5 hours per pound?  So 10-15 hours total for both?  You both look to be right on the money then.  Thanks....Jeff
Smokin-it #3D (Conversion) / Weber Genesis SPE310 / Anova WI-FI / Maverick 733 / iGrill 2
Jeff from Dry Ridge, KY

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 09:46:18 PM »
Jeff, 2 10 lb butts will cook like one.  The only time it would take enough time to cook 20 lbs is if the 20 lbs is all together.  They'll smoke like you just have one in there - just don't jam them together! :o
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

drains

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 10:36:56 PM »
You have #3 so you can put them on the same rack.  But if you put them on two different racks be sure not to put one directly underneath the other as it will cause shadowing by blocking the heat off of the top butt. I smoked two 9 lbs butts a couple weeks ago and it took 18hrs. They were really good!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

KY Smoke

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 10:51:56 PM »
Thanks Dale.  With your experience and others, I think I should be in pretty good shape tomorrow.  Will let everyone know what I end up with tomorrow afternoon. 
Jeff from Dry Ridge, KY

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 08:24:08 PM »
Go Jeff, Go! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

KY Smoke

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 10:23:02 PM »
I do appreciate everyone's advice last night, but got to doing the math and decided to put the Butts on last night at 12am.  I was trying to time things so I had plenty of time for them to rest, pull and vacuum pack before it got too late tonight.  And it worked out pretty good. 

The first one came out at 3pm and the second one at 4pm.  Pulled both at 192F.  Of course the back one finished up first.  Rested the first one until 6pm and then we had pull pork smothered jumbo baked potatoes for Dinner.  They were awesome!  Sorry guys, but no pictures. 

Pulled the second one after dinner and then vacuum packed it and the remainder of the first one and froze to take with us on vacation.  We leave Friday morning for South Carolina for 12 days with another couple.  Should take care of at least 2-3 meals with some of the best tasting pulled pork I've ever had.....and I've had a lot of it over the years!  These are awesome smokers my friends!  I am now completely convinced!

Again, thanks for everyone's help.  Greatly appreciated.
Jeff from Dry Ridge, KY

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 10:26:37 PM »
No harm in starting early, Jeff!  You got lucky that they weren't the "hour per pound" butts, and would have been done before you got home! :o   Great job! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas

KY Smoke

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 10:43:57 PM »
No worries Tony, as I found out my son wasn't working today until 2pm.  So he stopped over to check on things late morning and text me a temp report at 11am.  Knew I was in good shape then and had plenty of time.  He could have adjusted temp if needed and bought me some time.

Both Butts were very meaty (trimmed all the fat cap off), moist and full of flavor!  Your brine, my rub and injected with just Apple Juice.   They may have taken a while to cook, but they ended up being good ones!
Jeff from Dry Ridge, KY

drains

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 01:16:35 AM »
Hey Jeff glad everything came together for you. I've found that the leftovers taste as good or even better the next day. Enjoy your vacation!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3