Author Topic: Tappecue  (Read 2480 times)

bigbassnutt

Tappecue
« on: July 28, 2015, 06:13:48 PM »
Thinking about getting a tappecue and wondered how many on here have tried it and how they liked it.
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Tappecue
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 06:19:43 PM »
I like the idea you can check this from anywhere on the internet and the range is really not an issues. Price is a bit high at $200.00 and it sounds like moisture can be an issue, but they do make a case.

Below is a review.
http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/thermometers/tappecue

Greg

RSNovi

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 07:23:29 PM »
I recently got one for my birthday.  I have tried iGrill 1, Maverick 735, and the Tappecue.  In short here is my assessment:
- iGrill - best app by far
- Maverick 735 - best quality probes and seemed pretty stable on iPhone
- Tappecue - like the WIFI which is why I got it, but cheap probes and mediocre app

Each of these seem like an amateur electronics house designed them.  None of them have the complete package.  I haven't used the Tappecue that much, but my first time it started raining so I had to rush out to protect it.  If I knew I was going to stay home I would just use the Maverick 735.  It seemed to work well for me.  The iGrill always required pulling the batteries to get it to connect.

I think the Tappecue will be fine if you don't mind the moisture issue and a mediocre app.  I have been leaving the house during my smokes and being able to monitor temp will be quite helpful to me.

Chris
Chris - Michigan
SM025
PG500
Tappecue
Maverick 735
iGrill 1

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 08:14:59 PM »
Mike,

BenJamn (Ben) did a thread on this awhile back.  Haven't heard much from Ben, for awhile, but he's a good SIer.  He got the Tappecue:

Tappecue WiFi Thermometer
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!