Author Topic: First Whole Brisket in the #3 Big Daddy!  (Read 10567 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: First Whole Brisket in the #3 Big Daddy!
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 09:38:46 PM »
Tony, clod might now be in your future if you could find one.  I did a 17 lbs. clod on my first attempt.

I'm now on a mission to find one, now that I have just the vehicle for it to take a spin in! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DivotMaker

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 09:40:51 PM »
Fantastic just fantastic Tony! The sams here never has briskets that good. And they want alot for them. Only select briskets never even choice and certainly not angus. Well done!

Thanks Dale!  Quite a compliment, coming from a Texan!! :D   My Sam's used to frequently carry Prime briskets, but I haven't seen them for awhile.  The Choice Angus was pretty good.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 11:08:15 PM »
Hey Dale, have you got a costco in your neck of the woods? My cousins say they have a good selection of meat.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 01:00:14 AM »
Hey Dale, have you got a costco in your neck of the woods? My cousins say they have a good selection of meat.
Costco here has whole packer briskets, USDA Prime, for $3.79/lb. Smoked a 14.5 lb Prime brisket this weekend. Cut in 2 pieces (point and flat) to fit on #1. Best brisket I've ever done.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2015, 01:18:48 AM »
Tenderquick:  Any spice isle at your favorite place to shop - common.  How much?  I literally just "dusted" the meat, and rubbed it in.  I think the instructions said something like 1 Tbsp. for every pound of meat; I probably used 4-5 Tbsp. total (if that).  I just opened the bag and sprinkled, not sure of how it would work.  I rubbed it in and sealed the whole thing in a big FoodSaver bag (they make an expandable bag that will hold a monster piece of meat like this).  I rinsed the surface well, before coating with the steak sauce and rub.  I have to tell you, I was blown away with the results of the Tenderquick!  Didn't know what to expect, and was really pleased with the appearance.  This was 8 hours in the TQ.

I'm sold on the Tender Quick method! I used in on my 14.5 lb Prime brisket this weekend. Dusted and rubbed in the Tender Quick, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap (didn't bother to vacuum seal). I probably used 5-6 tablespoons of Tender Quick, but I don't think you have to be exact because you will be rinsing it. Refrigerated for 6.5 hours, then rinsed thoroughly. Patted dry, oiled surface. Added a low sodium rub, then smoked. I did not inject or brine. The most juicy, melt-in-your-mouth and delicious brisket I have ever made, or had anywhere for that matter. I love it when simplicity (no brine or injection) triumphs. (Maybe the fact that it was Prime helped). The faux smoke ring was absolutely gorgeous, but at a good 1/4 inch, maybe a bit too big. Next time I will go 3-4 hours with the Tender Quick. I think it will look more realistic if it is slightly smaller. I like the look of the Tender Quick smoke ring better than the one achieved by brining with Prague Powder #1. The Tender Quick makes a very distinctive ring near the surface, which looks more like a real one to me, but that's subjective I imagine.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 08:47:33 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

drains

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 01:25:46 AM »
No Costco here only SAMs and local grocery stores. Kroger in next town north of here, 20 miles. I'll look for the tender quick next time I go shopping.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

DivotMaker

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 10:01:05 PM »
Tenderquick:  Any spice isle at your favorite place to shop - common.  How much?  I literally just "dusted" the meat, and rubbed it in.  I think the instructions said something like 1 Tbsp. for every pound of meat; I probably used 4-5 Tbsp. total (if that).  I just opened the bag and sprinkled, not sure of how it would work.  I rubbed it in and sealed the whole thing in a big FoodSaver bag (they make an expandable bag that will hold a monster piece of meat like this).  I rinsed the surface well, before coating with the steak sauce and rub.  I have to tell you, I was blown away with the results of the Tenderquick!  Didn't know what to expect, and was really pleased with the appearance.  This was 8 hours in the TQ.

I'm sold on the Tender Quick method! I used in on my 14.5 lb Prime brisket this weekend. Dusted and rubbed in the Tender Quick, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap (didn't bother to vacuum seal). I probably used 5-6 tablespoons of Tender Quick, but I don't think you have to be exact because you will be rinsing it. Refrigerated for 6.5 hours, then rinsed thoroughly. Patted dry, oiled surface. Added a low sodium rub, then smoked. I did not inject or brine. The most juicy, melt-in-your-mouth and delicious brisket I have ever made, or had anywhere for that matter. I love it when simplicity (no brine or injection) triumphs. (Maybe the fact that it was Prime helped). The faux smoke ring was absolutely gorgeous, but at a good 1/4 inch, maybe a bit too big. Next time I will go 3-4 hours with the Tender Quick. I think it will look more realistic if it is slightly smaller. I like the look of the Tender Quick smoke ring better than the one achieved by brining with Prague Powder #1. The Tender Quick makes a very distinctive ring near the surface, which looks more like a real one to me, but that's subjective I imagine.

I agree, Kari!  The TQ ring looks more "genuine."  I have had plenty of Q-shack brisket that had a 1/4" ring; it all depends on the meat and technique.  Even Brian (Pork Belly) mentioned that he doesn't get rings all the time, and he smokes like 25 a day.  They vary, and none of your dinner guests will know or care!

I bet the Prime did make a difference, as far as no brine or injection.  I'll have to give this a try, next time I find one!
Tony from NW Arkansas