Author Topic: DO NOT pre-heat oven  (Read 5266 times)

SmokeyRobinson

DO NOT pre-heat oven
« on: July 25, 2015, 07:21:13 AM »
Hello Everyone,

Brand new SI3 owner here.

As I was unpacking my machine, I notice the first "rule" on the top plate saying "DO NOT pre-heat smoker". Does this mean we load up the wood, load up the meat, shut the door and then turn it on to the desired temperature?

What is the reasoning to this? All videos/articles I've seen/read have said otherwise. DO pre-heat smoker.

Confused.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: DO NOT pre-heat oven
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 10:08:31 AM »
Does this mean we load up the wood, load up the meat, shut the door and then turn it on to the desired temperature?
Yes, that is what this that means. 

What is the reasoning to this? All videos/articles I've seen/read have said otherwise. DO pre-heat smoker.
Steve, the owner of SI, has prepared a number of videos on the smoker operation and shows the load it and turn it on method.  What I have noticed with a thermostatically controlled electric smoker is that the heating element runs the hottest and longest during heat up.  I think if we were to add the smoke box after the smoker was pre-heated, it might be a little more difficult to generate the long run element heat to ignite chunks of wood.  This is purely observation on my part and speculation as to why one doesn't pre-heat. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 10:58:38 AM »
+1 Dave plus the wood box would not be much fun to handle to add wood after warmup. :o
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 11:53:44 AM »
First, welcome to the best forum for owners of SI smokers. As mentioned above, meat and wood go into a cold smoker.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 03:28:18 PM »
+1 Dave plus the wood box would not be much fun to handle to add wood after warmup. :o
I would add the wood box at the time I added the meat if I was a preheat guy.  Honestly, I haven't figured out why we are instructed not to preheat but it isn't something I've felt tempted break the rules with. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 03:32:55 PM »
Never tired it, never felt the need to try to pre-heat.  10 degrees out side or 100 temp.

My hunch its a safety thing/liability.   

You don't want to mess with that box while hot, + most of the pre heat you think you might get will be lost once the door is open.   
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 03:42:02 PM »
Smokey,

Of course there's the legal "liability" issue (opening a hot smoker), but I would not be deterred by a sign on the door, if I felt the need to pre-heat.  The fact is, though, I don't.  Here's why:

First, cold meat absorbs smoke better, so I want to keep the meat cold as long as possible.  If you start with a cold smoker, and meat right out of the fridge, the time it takes the meat to hit 140 (about the point when it's not absorbing much more smoke anyways) will be longer, thus better smoke penetration.  If you pre-heat the box, then add meat, you're probably cutting that time in half.

And, as mentioned by SuperDave, your wood will get going during the initial power-up.  If you pre-heat, you're going to lose 30-45 minutes of good smoke on the meat.

Bottom line?  This is not like other smokers.  Put your wood, and meat in a cold smoker, close the door and set your temp.  Lazy Q at its finest! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 05:00:39 PM »
+1
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 09:37:37 PM »
+2, on these smokers you really do want to start with a cold smoker and set your desired smoke temp.   The wood will start producing smoke within 20 minutes or so, and it is best to keep the door shut and let the SI do its thing!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2