Author Topic: Foil Woes -- Trying to put foil in the bottom of my Model 4  (Read 5402 times)

DLRobinson

I don't know if it is just me but I have the hardest time trying to get foil to stay in the bottom of my model 4.  The heating element and guard really doesn't allow me to lift the smoker box off of the bottom enough and I keep catching the foil on the edges of the box.  The foil ends up bunching up in the back of the smoker cabinet.  Well I found that the foil lids to full size steamer trays, which are much thicker than heavy duty aluminum foil, fit perfectly to the dimensions of the cabinet.  I took two trays, overlapped them and used a screw driver to poke the drain hole.  The thick trays are easy to keep in place while I slide the smoker box in place. 

Full Size Steamer Tray Lids
David from Chesterton, IN
Model #4  Auber 1503GPH PID

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Foil Woes -- Trying to put foil in the bottom of my Model 4
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 04:23:13 PM »
David,
I've had similar complaints.  The #4 firebox is so heavy that it is a little difficult to handle with your head and shoulders halfway into the smoker.  An approach that I was thinking about trying was to use the aluminum oven guards that are meant to go on the bottom of a house oven.  It also is nice and thick.  I just need to measure one the next time I'm at Wal Mart or the grocery store.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 10:20:22 PM »
David, most of us remove the smoke box before foiling the bottom.  Just slide it off the element, and take it out.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 10:23:26 PM »
David, most of us remove the smoke box before foiling the bottom.  Just slide it off the element, and take it out.
Trust me, the problem works in reverse as well. 

DLRobinson

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 09:31:17 AM »

LOL   ;D  ... I do take the box out to foil the bottom but when I slide the box back into the smoker, the corners of the box catch the foil and push it to the back of the cabinet.  To solve this, I have attempted to lift up on the box as I slide it back into the cabinet but the element guard does not allow me to get the box high enough to not catch the foil.  I can only guess that the smaller element guard and firebox in the model #1 through #3 allows one to put their hand done on the foil and lift the box more so that this doesn't happen.  Neither of which can be down with the larger box of the #4. 

Thank you for the laugh though, the mental image of someone trying to put foil in the cabinet with the firebox still in place is pretty funny.  I should have been more clear in my OP. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 03:24:15 PM by DLRobinson »
David from Chesterton, IN
Model #4  Auber 1503GPH PID

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 09:34:03 AM »

LOL   ;D  ... I do take the box out to foil the bottom but when I slide the box back into the smoker, the corners of the box catch the foil and push it to the back of the cabinet.  To solve this, I have attempted to lift up on the box as I slide it back into the cabinet but the element guard does not allow me to get the box high enough to not catch the foil.  I can only guess that they smaller element guard and firebox in the model #1 through #3 allows one to put their hand down on the foil and lift the box more so that this doesn't happen.  Neither of which can be down with the larger box of the #4. 

Thank you for the laugh though, the mental image of someone trying to put foil in the cabinet with the firebox still in place is pretty funny.  I should have been more clear in my OP.

David,

I can only speak to the model #2, it has plenty of clearance and so no problems with the bottom foil.

Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 10:26:09 AM »

LOL   ;D  ... I do take the box out to foil the bottom but when I slide the box back into the smoker, the corners of the box catch the foil and push it to the back of the cabinet.  To solve this, I have attempted to lift up on the box as I slide it back into the cabinet but the element guard does not allow me to get the box high enough to not catch the foil.  I can only guess that they smaller element guard and firebox in the model #1 through #3 allows one to put their hand down on the foil and lift the box more so that this doesn't happen.  Neither of which can be down with the larger box of the #4. 

David,

I can only speak to the model #2, it has plenty of clearance and so no problems with the bottom foil.

Greg
And there in lies the issue.  ;)  There are so few #4 owners that the other owners don't realize what a different animal the #4 is from the other units.  It is a petty issue but raising the element and the guard an inch on the #4 would be a wonderful thing. 

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 07:17:15 PM »

LOL   ;D  ... I do take the box out to foil the bottom but when I slide the box back into the smoker, the corners of the box catch the foil and push it to the back of the cabinet.  To solve this, I have attempted to lift up on the box as I slide it back into the cabinet but the element guard does not allow me to get the box high enough to not catch the foil.  I can only guess that the smaller element guard and firebox in the model #1 through #3 allows one to put their hand done on the foil and lift the box more so that this doesn't happen.  Neither of which can be down with the larger box of the #4. 

HaHaHa!! ;D ;D   You know, I read your OP 2 or 3 times, and it just sounded to me like you were trying to stuff foil under the box, with it in place!  I rolled the dice on the simplest solution (you'd be amazed how many times a really easy solution eludes some folks), and pulled the trigger!  I knew, after posting, that it was probably the other way around, but also knew someone might get a chuckle out of it, if I left it - so I did! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 12:06:39 PM »
I was getting the smoker ready this morning and thought that I would add some punctuation to this conversation.  Per the photo, the wood box is NOT supported by the element guard and all the weight is actually on the box supported by the smoker floor.  This condition is the same regardless of which way the box is inserted.  I put it in this direction to provide better visualization.

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 07:02:35 PM »
They could make the heating element cover thicker so it would support the box. I have noticed on the #3 that it sags in the front. To compensate this I make a roll of foil about the size of a golf ball and put under the front of the smoke box so it is level. I too pull the box prior to putting on the foil at the bottom. But, I bring it out far enough to let it catch the front of the smoker and crimp it across the lip in the front of the box. After which I install the box and the foil stays in place. Then just cut the foil with a pair of scissors. 
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri