Author Topic: Jerky Dryer Filter Question?  (Read 5700 times)

Pipecrew

Jerky Dryer Filter Question?
« on: March 10, 2015, 01:57:38 PM »
I was in a rush to make jerky when I first got my number #2. I made the first batch with no fan, it came out ok. The next batch I used a 4 inch duct fan I picked up at Home Depot. I was surprised to see how much moisture the fan removed from the jerky.

I see the James Jerky Dryer has a filter. I was wondering what it is made of? Does anyone have a picture of it?

Thanks
Mike

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Jerky Dryer Filter Question?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 02:04:33 PM »
Mike I have the dryer, If you duct fan worked I would continue to use it until it dies. I like the dryer but it is pricey. The filter material is just a thin layer of woven plastic material, if I remember correctly. When mine arrived I had to assemble it, I commented to my wife that it looked like a computer fan in an armored casing. A piece of vent pipe and a duct fan are likely all you need.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 11:00:05 AM »
Mike, show us a picture of what you are using, please.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Pipecrew

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 02:33:18 PM »
Here's what I'm using. 4" duct fan from Home Depot for around $30. You could find them cheaper I imagine if you shop around. I have a cap I am going to use on the bottom, I have to find something to drill it or cut it with to make it the size of the smoke hole on the smoker.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 03:30:48 PM »
My first thought is you likely saved at least fifty bucks. That is a large fan so you might consider a rheostat to keep from pulling too much air  through the smoker. You want to keep it dry but not giving it so much air your burning through your wood. But if it works good as is, congratulations. I am pretty sure I have seen someone else post about doing this, not sure how old that was. 
- Sigmund Freud

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 04:49:58 PM »
I was thinking the same thing. Comparable to the Jerky Dryer fan, that one seems a lot beefier and I would be worried that it may be increasing the airflow too much through the box. So, a controller to control the speed of the fan may be nice to have.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 08:54:35 PM »
I was thinking the same thing. Comparable to the Jerky Dryer fan, that one seems a lot beefier and I would be worried that it may be increasing the airflow too much through the box. So, a controller to control the speed of the fan may be nice to have.
No worries.  I checked the specs of the HD fan and it has essentially the same cfm rating as a 12v computer fan, 65 cfm. 

paidin

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 09:02:10 PM »
instead of a fancy rheostat, just prop the fan up a little bit with something like chopsticks.  That should give you about a 1/4" gap on the base of the fan which should result in air being drafted through the smoker.  Experiment with different heights to see which works the best. 
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 09:05:20 PM »
The chop-sticks sounds good. I was also thinking about drilling a few holes around the bottom edge to give it another air source to draw from.
- Sigmund Freud

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 09:23:40 PM »
I have a cap I am going to use on the bottom, I have to find something to drill it or cut it with to make it the size of the smoke hole on the smoker.
If you want the cap to sit under the escutcheon ring, get an 1 1/8" hole saw.  If you want it to sit around the outside of the escutcheon ring, get an 1 3/4" hole saw.

DLRobinson

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 08:47:46 PM »
I see the James Jerky Dryer has a filter. I was wondering what it is made of?

The filter is the exact same material used in Stove Overhead Hood filters.  I imagine you could probably just pick up a replacement Overhead Hood Filter and cut it to fit the 4" duct. 

Here is a cheap one from Home Depot.  http://www.homedepot.com/p/Broan-46000-42000-40000-F40000-Series-Range-Hood-Externally-Vented-Aluminum-Filter-1-each-S97006931/100600323
David from Chesterton, IN
Model #4  Auber 1503GPH PID