Author Topic: Is the model 1 big enough  (Read 20216 times)

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Is the model 1 big enough
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 03:55:27 PM »
Way to go, Bill!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2015, 05:23:39 PM »
Thank-you Steve, here is clouding up again, looks like more rain.  :'(
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2015, 07:27:00 PM »
Congrats again, Bill!  And KevinS?...KevinS?....Bueller?....Bueller?.... ;D ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

elkins20

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2015, 08:19:21 PM »
I think Kevin is long gone to the happy smokin grounds...
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2015, 09:38:08 PM »
Yeah, I think you're right, Bill!  Maybe he's still monitoring his email, and will be back! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Gillem

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 05:15:28 PM »
Taking my newly purchased #1 camping, it's the perfect size for that, has a lower amp draw than most other electrics and being made from stainless I can't think of a better fit. Get to the camp ground plug it in throw in the meat and viola - good eats!!!
The #2 and #3 would just be too big.
So yes their are good reasons to purchase a #1

elkins20

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2015, 05:18:10 PM »
Also can do a small boston butt in them as have done a 7# that came out great. Or if just cooking for one. Only on a slab of ribs will have to cut them into.

DivotMaker

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2015, 08:47:26 PM »
Taking my newly purchased #1 camping, it's the perfect size for that, has a lower amp draw than most other electrics and being made from stainless I can't think of a better fit. Get to the camp ground plug it in throw in the meat and viola - good eats!!!
The #2 and #3 would just be too big.
So yes their are good reasons to purchase a #1

+1!!  The Little Guy may be the runt of the litter, but he has some serious attitude! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

Gillem

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2015, 10:29:28 PM »
There's a reason why they call it #1!

elkins20

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2015, 11:04:14 PM »
Yes, I had to separate them as the #1 was bullying the #3.  :o

Gillem

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2015, 11:13:40 PM »
You know those Nepoleonic attitudes!!

Gillem

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2015, 09:01:21 PM »
Well after 8 days of camping with the #1 I couldn't have been happier.
I first did some hamburgers just to get a feel for temps and time. They cooked a bit quicker than I thought at the 225 setting but turned out juicy and not at all dry. Next up were chicken quarters this time not only did I watch meat temps I also watched actual smoker temps, it appeared that in order to get a 225° average I had to set the dial one line less than 225. The chicken came out looking beautiful! I thought I would give the chicken a quick sear over some charcoal to crisp up the skin but alas it only made it shoe leather tough. Someday I will conquer rubber chicken skin.
Next came a whole brisket that was one tasty piece of meat took about 12 hours, I did wrap it with foil at the 165° mark and then took it to 197° , it was one of my better briskets ever, not having to mess with wood or charcoal all night and day was a joy. I had brisket that night, brisket and eggs the next morning and then made a Texas style chili with what was left needless to say it was bangin!
And so was my #1 Smokin-it electric smoker!

elkins20

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2015, 09:09:58 PM »
Hey Gillem, sounds like you gave the little man quite a workout. Would love to hear more about the hamburgers you smoked in the #1. And the size of the brisket?

Gillem

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2015, 09:21:23 PM »
The hamburgers were 80% lean with onion chopped up into them along with with a basic rub and Worcestershire sauce, I got the recipe from smoke and spice, it is a great tasting twist on an old favorite.
The brisket was a 10 pounder that I had to do some wrastling to get it in there. I ended up folding the point end back under a bit to get it to fit but it did and worked out fine. I guess I should have taken pictures

elkins20

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2015, 10:38:34 PM »
Yes, pictures would have been nice. And what temp. did you cook the hamburgers?