Author Topic: How to install a permanent Auber temperature probe  (Read 115721 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: How to install a permanent Auber temperature probe
« Reply #120 on: July 20, 2015, 04:43:19 PM »
Ribs on the top rack of a #1 is what concerns me about the 1" from the top placement.  Ribs laid flat would seem to really block air flow above them and thus block the probe.  I'm just an outside observer so that's why I'm interested to see real #1 owners chime in. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #121 on: July 20, 2015, 06:43:02 PM »
Thanks for the concern Dave, looks like just you and me are talking about this. I even called Steve this morning and have not heard back from him. I did find out the auber shipped today and should have it by the end of the week. So looks like will have some work to do over the weekend. As going to do the bypass switch also. Just not sure about switching cords yet. That maybe be down the road.. Tony did tell me if I needed help he would lend a hand. But, he did not use the auber in his #1. Noticed he now has a 1, 2 and 3. I wonder if he will also get the #4 later.  ;D
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #122 on: July 20, 2015, 06:49:16 PM »
Bill, I'll pray for you and the drilling a hole in your smoker.  I'm glad that I decided against the bypass switch if that meant drilling another hole.  The SS on these babies are like armor.  LOL!
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #123 on: July 20, 2015, 07:38:33 PM »
Thanks for the concern Dave, looks like just you and me are talking about this. I even called Steve this morning and have not heard back from him. I did find out the auber shipped today and should have it by the end of the week. So looks like will have some work to do over the weekend. As going to do the bypass switch also. Just not sure about switching cords yet. That maybe be down the road.. Tony did tell me if I needed help he would lend a hand. But, he did not use the auber in his #1. Noticed he now has a 1, 2 and 3. I wonder if he will also get the #4 later.  ;D

Bill, go with 1" from the top.  Mounting under the top shelf is based on Auber's recommendations for the Auber.  Terrible position!  If you smoke something like a pork butt, the probe that low is in the way!  Ribs will not interfere with it in the #1 (in the high position).  You have to cut the racks in two, and you leave space between them, so they won't get against the probe.  I have a perm probe for the Little Guy, but just haven't installed it yet.  I am confident about the 1" from the top position, though.  Most stable heat, and it's up out of the way.

And, no to the #4...Pretty sure that would be way over the top, and I'd definitely have to admit I have a problem, then! ???
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #124 on: July 20, 2015, 07:45:49 PM »
You made me do a belly laugh with the no on the #4 with tears in the eyes.  ;D, I will follow your lead and go one inch from the top and around the center of the smoker. I will make a list of parts tomorrow and head to lowe's. Found a full bag of female connectors on the work bench. So may not need to buy them.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

« Reply #125 on: July 20, 2015, 07:55:06 PM »
Hehe...I do what I can, Bill! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

eclecticitguy

« Reply #126 on: June 07, 2016, 02:25:34 PM »
Hey All,

Quick question about the permanent Auber temp probe.  Is the 1" from the top install recommendation for all models, or only the #1?  I have the Model #2 and am considering purchasing an Auber controller.  If I do, I'll definitely do the permanent probe installation, and am trying to determine the correct mounting location.

Thanks.
Will
Southern CA
Smokin-It Model 2

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #127 on: June 07, 2016, 04:32:27 PM »
Pretty sure the 1 inch from the top applies to all smokers. I don't recall reading anything to the contrary.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

« Reply #128 on: June 07, 2016, 07:49:38 PM »
Is the 1" from the top install recommendation for all models, or only the #1? 

Yes, Will.  Not model-specific. 
Tony from NW Arkansas

es1025

« Reply #129 on: September 20, 2017, 10:45:52 AM »
You need to use a cobalt drill bit. No prep just mark the spot and drill. Took about two minutes.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #130 on: December 16, 2017, 07:34:11 PM »
I finally relocated the box probe in my 3D today. Suggestions on how to best cover the hole being left behind?
Jason
>3D (my 1st ever smoker!) purchased 4/16
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Autocross and track day junkie
>Far Northern Indiana

DivotMaker

« Reply #131 on: February 02, 2018, 08:11:05 PM »
I finally relocated the box probe in my 3D today. Suggestions on how to best cover the hole being left behind?

Jason, sorry for the late reply!  The best way to fill the left-behind hole is a little hi-temp silicone sealant, such as Permatex brand from the auto parts store...works great.
Tony from NW Arkansas

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #132 on: February 02, 2018, 11:55:00 PM »
Thanks. I ended up just using a short bolt and washers.
Jason
>3D (my 1st ever smoker!) purchased 4/16
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Autocross and track day junkie
>Far Northern Indiana

LTS

« Reply #133 on: February 03, 2018, 11:29:11 AM »
I use the  K  type connector did it a little different , put in a female plug on the back. Like many of
you the weather was driving me crazy trying to protect the Auber , now it`s on the kitchen counter
problem solved  ( for me ) go to " my set up " LTS

HTH  Paul

LTS

« Reply #134 on: February 03, 2018, 04:21:50 PM »

not very computer savvy what makes the pix go sideways  ???

Thanks  Paul