Author Topic: Chunks or Chips  (Read 4122 times)

Event Horizon

• Smokin-It #3D
Chunks or Chips
« on: June 17, 2016, 07:59:26 AM »
Hi there,

I have been doing some reading and have a wood question.  I just got my 3D the other week and have only done two smokes.  The first smoke was ribs and I did things incorrect in that I had a large water pan on the bottom rack above the wood box. (I now understand it needs to be a small pan to the side of the box).  I used pecan wood.  I had some chunks that had been split into smaller pieces.  These pieces were about 2' long and about 3/4" round.  I think I added about 3 or 4 of them.  I found it strong for my taste.  I am not sure if the wood is bad or my process.  Last year I took my father’s old Little Chief and started smoking salmon.  I had some good results using alder, apple, and pecan chips. HOWEVER the last smoke of the year I added a few of these cut down chunks of pecan.  I was struggling to get the right IT as it was November and these little smokers are very low heat. The other mistake I made with this batch is that I added some small cherry pieces.  This wood came from my brothers yard, and I did not understand that the moisture content was important; it was dead and dry so I used it.  It tasted bad.  I am not sure if it is the wood I don't like or just too much smoke.  I got the same flavor off the ribs but not quite as bad as the fish (I tossed the fish and ate the ribs).  The second smoke I did some chicken drumsticks, no water pan and I used a small amount of hickory pellets that I had.  They turned out great.

My conclusion is that I think I prefer a mild smoke on things.  With that said I am in the process of curing some pork loins for some Canadian bacon.  The loin is about 8 lbs and is curing in 4 chunks.  My plan is to smoke one tomorrow as a test and the other 3 on Sunday.  I will be letting it sit in the refrigerator for another day before I slice vac and freeze.  I will not be cutting chops, it will all be cut to 1/8” for breakfast use, so I want this with a mild smoke.

Questions:

1)   I have read that chunks are best for these smokers.  I only have pecan chunks from last year that so far have not given me good taste (understanding that I made some mistakes).  I am a bit shy to use it in case the wood might not be the best quality.  For something like this when I want a milder smoke could I use pellets or chips?  Or would I be best going out and picking up some different chunks?

2)   I have been to a market here in Toronto Canada where they do CB and they score the top with a knife and glaze it with maple syrup.  I am not sure how I would be best doing this with my 3D.  You all say close the door and go drink a beer.  Is this something I should do after I hit my IT?  Maybe pull it off the smoker and glaze it as its cooling in the house?

Thanks.
John from Blenheim.

Event Horizon

• Smokin-It #3D
Re: Chunks or Chips
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 08:13:06 AM »
One other question. looking at the smoking times, temps and wood chart I see that it says finished temp + reverse sear.  What does that mean?  I was given some good advise in the introduction section on time and temps, but curious what the reverse sear is?
John from Blenheim.

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 09:01:13 AM »
One other question. looking at the smoking times, temps and wood chart I see that it says finished temp + reverse sear.  What does that mean?  I was given some good advise in the introduction section on time and temps, but curious what the reverse sear is?
Sear after the smoke. I usually do this on my grill.
Regarding the wood... I have tried to reconstitute dried Pecan and struggled to get it much higher than 5%.  I also like a milder smoke taste and use 2 to 3 ounces.
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

Durangosmoker

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 01:33:01 PM »
As stated above, the reverse sear is to briefly cook the outside of the meat at high heat AFTER the meat has been cooked, as opposed to the traditional method of searing the meat first, and then putting it in the oven to cook through.

As to your wood question, I suspect that you are using too much wood. If you don't have one, I would strongly suggest that you get an inexpensive kitchen scale and weigh your wood chunks. When I do a pork loin, I usually use 2 oz (~56g) of wood; same for Canadian Bacon. If you think you like less smoke taste, start with 1.5 oz., and determine whether you want more or less. I keep a notebook with info on (almost) all my smokes, so I can go back and see what I did, how much wood, and what temp I set it at the last time I smoked a particular piece of meat.

Good Luck, and have fun.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 07:11:46 PM »
John,

The reverse-sear is for regular pork loins - not Canadian bacon.  That is long-smoked, and does not need a seared bark (crust).  You might want to go to the Bacon section, and do a search for Canadian bacon.  Here's mine, as a start:

Canadian Bacon

As for the comment about pecan on the ribs being too strong:  You used WAY too much wood.  It wasn't the wood choice, it was the amount.  If you don't have a digital kitchen scale, I can't recommend getting one enough!  We typically use 2-3 oz of wood on ribs; you probably used 6+!  Pecan is actually a fairly mild hardwood, but you just over-smoked them.

Here's a tip for posting questions, like these:  Separate them, in the proper locations.  You are in the instructional section about basics for beginners, but have asked questions about wood selection, and Canadian bacon.  These are great questions, and I know you're new, so that's why I'm addressing this (in hopes it will help others, too), so don't take offense.

Here's what I would have done:

1.  First, go to the wood section (What Tree Do You Use?), and do a quick search (top right search bar).  If I couldn't find the answer, I would create a new topic, in the wood section.  That would isolate the discussion to wood types/strength, etc.

2.  Next, go to the Bacon section and search for Canadian bacon.  There are many posts on that subject.  But, if I didn't find what I was looking for, I would start a new topic, maybe titled "Glazed Canadian Bacon."  Then, that would be the focus of that thread's discussion.

See what I'm talking about?  If the same questions are posted in multiple areas, or by hitching a ride on another subject, it causes confusion, and you end up having multiple discussions on the same question.

Hope this helps!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Event Horizon

• Smokin-It #3D
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 07:22:50 AM »

Here's a tip for posting questions, like these:  Separate them, in the proper locations.  You are in the instructional section about basics for beginners, but have asked questions about wood selection, and Canadian bacon.  These are great questions, and I know you're new, so that's why I'm addressing this (in hopes it will help others, too), so don't take offense.

Thanks Tony, no offense taken and I now get it.  I will be sure to read through the specific sections and split future questions into their specific categories.  I appreciate the help I got.  All said and done I think the meat survived. 
John from Blenheim.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 10:00:00 PM »
Good deal, John! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!