Author Topic: Best insulated BBQ gloves?  (Read 47573 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Best insulated BBQ gloves?
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2015, 10:18:28 AM »
I'm a 2 glove guy.  Harbor Freight welding gloves for rack & pan handling and some rubber/silicone gloves for meat handling.  The meat gloves have no material to absorb stains and wash easily in the kitchen sink. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2015, 01:31:15 PM »
I have the same gloves Harvey101 linked to. They work good. When I did a chicken in the smoker I moved it to the gas grill (to crisp up the skin) with these gloves and the chicken drippings cause a large flame up while I was holding the chicken. I would have burned my hands or thrown my chicken off the deck had I not been wearing them. I also plan to take them camping this next summer where I believe they should be great for my cast iron cooking.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

Barrel99

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2015, 01:44:46 PM »
I have welding gloves for handling most things around the smoker and silicon if I need to be by the grill.

http://www.amazon.com/US-Forge-400-Welding-Leather/dp/B000MRQAJG/ref=pd_cp_hi_0
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2015, 04:30:48 PM »
Same old Academy gloves going strong, almost 2 years in!  Lots of great glove choices out there, but this has been one of the best uses of $12 I've had!  The SI grills and meat are not hot enough to warrant welding gloves, or any "super high temp" gloves.  No problem with the cheap gloves!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Limey

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2015, 06:03:43 PM »
I too use welding gloves for everything hot but not greasy and silicone for everything else.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2015, 06:56:07 PM »
texasBBQrub.com has a minimum order of $13. So you can't actually order the $12 gloves with free shipping without adding additional items to your cart. Just sayin... I have a pair of Steve Raichlen gloves from about 10+ years ago, and hate them. They are actually white (before the gray ones) and crazy stiff. Plus, WAY too big for a woman's hands. And I have relatively large hands and long fingers for a gal. I have since bought a pair of silicone gloves designed to fit women, and they are very soft and flexible, fit my hands better, and work great for taking things off the smoker, and the sometimes intricate work of pulling pork etc. Below is what I bought, but I'd love to hear any other suggestions for the ladies!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OL13WWW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 07:06:54 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2015, 07:05:01 PM »
Those look like really nice gloves, Kari!  Good to see a recommendation for some designed to fit the women!  Thanks for the post!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2015, 07:08:19 PM »
Those look like really nice gloves, Kari!

Yeah, I don't know why companies think women want goofy polka dots and colors, but function over form I say. And they are kind of cute, although I'd prefer plain myself.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2015, 07:10:34 PM »
Hehe.  Yeah, I guess polka-dots sell! ;)   I know my wife would probably pick them over the plain ones!   ;D ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2015, 04:44:03 AM »
Hey Tony, I purchased the gloves from TexasBBQ and really like them. Have used several times, also very easy to clean. I just use hand soap and wash with them on my hands just like washing my hands. I too found they had a limit on orders. So ordered their rub, the gloves are great their rub not so much.  :-X
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2015, 02:57:17 PM »
Thanks Bill.  Good to know about their rub!
Tony from NW Arkansas

elkins20

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2015, 03:51:29 PM »
I get the nitrate examine gloves at the V.A. usually can talk a Doctor or nurse into giving me a full box. Tony, if I knew then about the rub I would have purchased 2 pairs of gloves. But, was late and I heard bed calling my name.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2015, 07:10:44 PM »
Bill, I buy medium-duty nitrile gloves, at Harbor Freight, for all my meat prep, but they're not heavy enough to handle the hot stuff (at least for me). :o
Tony from NW Arkansas

elkins20

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2015, 07:14:15 PM »
Yes, that is what I use the examine gloves for just prep. I have the heavy gloves from TexasBBQ site to handle the hot stuff. Also I had a question for you posted on Rickne sale of his #3 in the for sale section of the forum.

DivotMaker

« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2015, 07:20:15 PM »
Also I had a question for you posted on Rickne sale of his #3 in the for sale section of the forum.

Answered! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas