Author Topic: Smoked coleslaw  (Read 3649 times)

Duffy42

Smoked coleslaw
« on: February 01, 2015, 03:56:08 PM »
Helps if you have the seafood rack. Take one head of cabbage chopped Into small pieces place on seafood rack smoke for roughly 30 to 45 minutes. Let cool and chop to the size you prefer. For dressing, I use 1/2 cup of a good blue cheese dressing 2 tablespoons cider vinegar and sugar to taste. You can chop up tomatoes and bacon if you wish to have smoked BLT slaw. Serve either warm or cold. I will on occasion add a dash of Tabasco.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 04:05:51 PM by Duffy42 »

Durangosmoker

Re: Smoked coleslaw
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 09:43:59 PM »
How did I miss this???  This sounds terrific, especially the BLT version.  I've been interested in smoking veggies...
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 08:10:00 PM »
Veggies = good!  I love to smoke sliced onion rings when I do fajita meat.  Marinate them in the meat marinade, then smoke them.  When you combine them with the meat in a cast iron skillet to finish, they are incredible!  I'll have to try the cabbage - never thought of that one!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Durangosmoker

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 06:51:10 PM »
Anyone ever try smoking Portobello mushrooms? That's my next experiment.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 06:55:56 PM »
Yes, they shrink quick and dont need much time .  Load cap with toppings, use whole caps not cut up.  Worked out fine.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 07:13:45 PM »
Yes, they shrink quick and dont need much time .  Load cap with toppings, use whole caps not cut up.  Worked out fine.

John,

How long I would like to do some of these for my pizzas?

Thanks Greg

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 07:14:26 PM »
Helps if you have the seafood rack. Take one head of cabbage chopped Into small pieces place on seafood rack smoke for roughly 30 to 45 minutes. Let cool and chop to the size you prefer. For dressing, I use 1/2 cup of a good blue cheese dressing 2 tablespoons cider vinegar and sugar to taste. You can chop up tomatoes and bacon if you wish to have smoked BLT slaw. Serve either warm or cold. I will on occasion add a dash of Tabasco.

This sounds excellent, next time I make slaw I will give this a shot!