Author Topic: Pellet Grill / Smoker  (Read 3503 times)

tigerfan79

Pellet Grill / Smoker
« on: August 07, 2017, 06:05:02 PM »
I'm looking to add a pellet grill and wanted to see if anyone on here has experience with the Memphis pro or elite?  I currently have a large BGE and a SI model 3 so the primary purpose of the pellet cooker will be grilling with the occasional smoke.
Thanks,
Matt
Matt - Walker, Louisiana
SI Model 3

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Pellet Grill / Smoker
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 07:06:38 PM »
Recently added a Green Mountain Grill and resisted the pellet thing for a long time.  I like it.  I've just found that I need to add stronger wood pellets than I'd use for wood to get the taste that I like.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

tigerfan79

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 10:47:49 PM »
Thanks.  What is a good brand/flavor of pellet to start with?
Matt - Walker, Louisiana
SI Model 3

40 caliber

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 05:32:01 AM »
Dave what do you like about the pellet over the smokin it? i have thought about getting one as a supplement but not sure why. I see malcom reed use one on his videos from time to  time.
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

RG

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 07:31:44 PM »
I'll chime in here as I've had a couple of pellet grills. I like them for doing chicken, ABTs, and ribs in particular. If you're considering a Memphis Pro, those are the top of the line pellet grills and you'll be able to do far more with that than you would a Traeger, Green Mountain, Pitboss, Camp Chef, etc....

It's in the class of pellet grills as MAK and Yoder, good company to have ;) These grills also give you more smoke than a Traeger would but to be honest, I don;t mind the smoke pellet grills give and I want more I use the KBQ anyway. The pellet grills serve their purpose as far as I am concerned and I will never not own one!
Jason from Conyers GA

tigerfan79

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 09:23:18 PM »
Thanks for the insight....I'm now pretty certain on going with the pro, can't wait to try it out!
Matt - Walker, Louisiana
SI Model 3

EFGM

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 06:38:41 AM »
Have you seen the Fast Eddy PG1000. You owe it to yourself to check it out. spending that many $ you should research all, just saying, you will find the right pellet grill for you by doing so and you will be happy. I use it mainly for grilling, direct and indirect now and use the 4D for smoking.
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 11:03:21 AM »
Thanks.  What is a good brand/flavor of pellet to start with?
Didn't have good luck with off brands but Traeger and Green Mountain brands have been good.  I'm using a Hickory/Mesquite blend right now that has worked well for beef, chicken and pork. 

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 11:05:08 AM »
Dave what do you like about the pellet over the smokin it? i have thought about getting one as a supplement but not sure why. I see malcom reed use one on his videos from time to  time.
I bought a small model that works well for our camping trips.  I like the versatility of being able to grill or smoke in small batches versus firing up the model 4 for something small. 

tigerfan79

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 06:04:27 PM »
Have you seen the Fast Eddy PG1000. You owe it to yourself to check it out. spending that many $ you should research all, just saying, you will find the right pellet grill for you by doing so and you will be happy. I use it mainly for grilling, direct and indirect now and use the 4D for smoking.

Thanks for the info.  I've looked at that one as well as the Mak 2 star, however, keep coming back to the Memphis. 
Matt - Walker, Louisiana
SI Model 3

RG

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 05:07:55 AM »
If money were no object, I'd get a Memphis myself. LOVE the look of them and how well they're built. It will last a lifetime.
Jason from Conyers GA

tigerfan79

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 10:48:01 PM »
The pro (built in model) came in last week and I cannot wait to cook on this thing....build quality looks beyond exceptional.  The attached picture is some of the work I did on the spot where it is going.  Since the model 3 is also moving from a cart to a built in location, I'll probably start a new thread documenting that build along with pictures of the Memphis built in as well.
Matt - Walker, Louisiana
SI Model 3