Author Topic: Shelf Mod.  (Read 4999 times)

puddle jumper

Shelf Mod.
« on: December 14, 2013, 12:26:44 AM »
OK,
 Let me start by saying that I don't recommend anyone start hacking on there smoker, this is simply a solution to a issue I had with mine, and I have to tell you I do like it,, solves the problem nicely...

The problem was, a almost disaster I had on Thanksgiving, I was placing a turkey breast on the smoker and when I went to slide the temp probe in the breast, Wham,,, The shelf slid right out of the smoker and the breast went straight to the floor...
Aw man :-\,, well it did not end up to bad,, A quick trip to the sink re-wrap the bacon and back into the smoker no harm no foul,, but I knew right there this was something I was going to look into,, as it had just about happened on a couple of occasions before...

After, thinking about it for a little bit this is what I came up with,,,

I took a Dremel tool with a small cut off disk and cut a L-shape cut in the top rail of the shelf slot and with a couple of different types of pliers made a bend in the piece that I cut,, I matched the shelf racks side by side and did this to both sides " They need to be in the exact same place side to side so they catch the shelf even", and if you insert the shelf in the right way, center bars up and running side to side,the tab acts like a detent keeping pressure on the shelf so it can't slide all the way out without pulling it out..you can adjust the bend to get as much or little pressure on the shelf as you want...

One thing I would suggest doing.. only do this to one set of shelf's and see how you like it for a while before doing it to all the shelf's, If you don't like it, you will be making a call to Steve to see if he has replacements out of your own pocket, if he even has extras...
 8)
PJ

John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
Re: Shelf Mod.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 03:14:04 AM »
wow great idea!
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Shelf Mod.
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 12:30:35 PM »
Good idea, John!  I've never dumped a shelf, but this would certainly prevent it!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!