Author Topic: New to the forum with a #1  (Read 3077 times)

TileMan

New to the forum with a #1
« on: January 15, 2017, 07:25:00 PM »
I actually got my Smokin it #1 about 4 years ago. Today is the first time I've used it in about a year. Got another hour on the ribs. I love brisket but it is so expensive here

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: New to the forum with a #1
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 10:31:59 PM »
Welcome to the SI forums.  How much does brisket run where you are?  On that note... where are you?  :)
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 03:42:40 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Do you have a Costco nearby? They have USDA Prime brisket at a great price. I love how brisket turns out in my #1!
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 09:40:26 AM »
Welcome from ND! It is great to finally have you join us. Now don't be a stranger. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 01:14:36 PM »
Welcome to the forum from SE Arizona. I agree with going to Costco for brisket.  Cannot beat the price.  The closest to where I live is 83 miles one way so trips are few and far between but well worth the travel.  I also snag some prime strip steaks for the grill when I go.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

TileMan

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 06:35:24 PM »
I am just north of Baltimore, Md. Brisket is $9/lb.

Ribs turned out ok. Tender but still very fatty. Did 2.2.5 hours uncover then wrapped them up for another 2.25 then sticker back in uncover for about 30min.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 09:17:24 PM »
Baby backs are less fatty than spares or St. Louis spares. How much time were your ribs uncovered? Your post is not very clear. You want to smoke them directly on the racks for 4.5 to 5.5 hours or so for baby backs. Uncovered, no foil. No pan ever. Some people will sauce at 4 or so hours and put them back in if you are a sauce person. I find this an unnecessary step, but to each his own. I am a dry rub, serve sauce on the side (or brush sauce on after removing) person. Wrapping in foil is a personal preference, but it is not needed in the SI smokers. They maintain a lot of moisture as long as you are not opening the door fussing with things. I don't think you will find many people here who wrap their ribs in foil to cook, only when they remove them from the smoker to rest.

Brisket at Costco is $2.59 to $3.79 per pound for a whole packer USDA Prime brisket (12-17 pounds approx), depending on the time of year, and your location. If you buy a "flat only" cut, you can pay nearly $9 per pound, but I don't see why anyone would. Flats are usually over-trimmed, and are the least desirable part of the brisket in my opinion. I see several Costcos near Baltimore. A single whole packer brisket would pay for your membership in savings, in one purchase. Don't be afraid of buying a whole packer. I always get a lot of attention walking through Costco with that huge hunk of meat in my cart. Even the checkout people are curious. Your extra smoked brisket freezes beautifully!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 09:34:08 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 10:24:17 AM »
I am just north of Baltimore, Md. Brisket is $9/lb.

Ribs turned out ok. Tender but still very fatty. Did 2.2.5 hours uncover then wrapped them up for another 2.25 then sticker back in uncover for about 30min.

My guess is that you didn't smoke them long enough.

As Kari suggested Baby backs usually require 5-6 hours and St Louis Cut ribs 6-7 hours at 225. The times are a little less if you smoke at 235, but for me, I have had better luck sticking with 225. Foil doesn't touch my ribs other than a light tenting (I don't completely wrap ribs) during a 30-minute rest. Sauce if you must as close to 30 minutes prior to removal.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

TileMan

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 08:48:11 PM »
They were cooked on the racks I just put them on the pan to hold them. Yeah I shoulda cooked them longer but it was getting late and we were starving lol. I go to Bjs which is the same as Costco. I've checked other places and can't find brisket any cheaper.