Author Topic: Love my 3D  (Read 2912 times)

Danbow

Love my 3D
« on: January 12, 2017, 09:32:01 PM »
Well, I decided to wait a little while and play with it before I re posted and I must say I am very happy so far. Steve got it shipped out quickly and the only thing wrong was the back left rack rod was bent down at about a 45 angle. I bent it back into a 90 position and all seems well.

I started off with a Pork butt and did the brinning thing and it did turn out very moist. I'm not a big pork butt fan but it was good. Next I did some home made venison andouille sausages and they were off the chart. Then I did some venison meat sticks and they were other worldly as well. Next was a pork loin and it was hands down the best I've ever had. Nice smoke and not overdone as the temp probe worked just like it should.
 I loaned it to a buddy of mine that was going to do a turkey and it was fantastic, probably the best I've tasted. Moist too. Then his neighbor rolled some ribs on it next day before he brought it back to me and they were fantastic as well. This thing does what they say it will do for sure. In fact my buddies were so impressed one of them texted me and said " I hate to give you props but your smoker is bada**. Well built and a cinch to use and I can't believe how little wood is needed"  They did their stuff with local pecan 6oz per smoke.

My boss is a big smoker and at first he said "it seems like cheating" but when he saw me go deer hunting and then come back to a finished butt that I didn't have to baby sit all day he has called me four times asking questions about it. I referred him to the site and forum and I think he is going be buying one soon along with the jerky dryer option.

I know it's fondly referred to as lazy Q but I thinks its exactly the opposite. When I used to smoke with my Oklahoma Joes stick smoker all I could do is stand around all day drinking beer tending the smoker and being lazy, now I can get all kinds of things done and not worry even a little bit that it will turn out right. I thinks its for guys that love great smoked meat but have a lot of other things to get done. I am definitely going to be smoking more. There's no reason not to now.
There are times when you make a purchase and your hoping you made the right call and then down the road you look back and say "that was a really good decision" Well, this one certainly was.
Danny from Cowley County Kansas
Open fire tractor wheel griller, Oklahoma Joes stick smoker, Proud Smokin-it 3D wi-fi owner

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Love my 3D
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 09:42:34 PM »
Great post Danny.  Now get your buddies and neighbors and boss to jump aboard and join the SI family! These smokers are phenomenal.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Airchair

• Court
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 01:08:19 AM »
Well said Danny....I'm only 2 smokes in and love the heck out of this thing. Most of us can't spend all day smoking so it fits a busy family schedule.
Brought smoked chicken to work and everyone said its the best they ever had. My boss as well wants to buy an SI.

Court
Court
Phoenix, AZ
SI 3D, Weber Genesis, Weber Kettle Grill

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 01:12:20 AM »
Interesting take on Lazy-Q. The SI does allow us accomplish many things (including sleep) besides drinking beer and lounging in a chair all day and nights while our meat smokes! :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 03:43:14 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Limey

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 03:35:46 PM »
Sleep rules! All my butts go on at midnight and I sleep like a baby.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

Danbow

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 04:03:38 PM »
I'm working on it Sarge. The boss is about ready to pull the trigger and I told him to order it directly from Steve and not on a re seller site such as amazon or whatever. Not that I have anything against them its just when you can buy directly it makes it more personal to me.

I guess the only bad part of my buddies getting one is then I won't necessarily have the best Q everytime  :D

My guess is they won't anyway as they are both tighter than heck. But the boss is gonna do it.
Danny from Cowley County Kansas
Open fire tractor wheel griller, Oklahoma Joes stick smoker, Proud Smokin-it 3D wi-fi owner

JustChillin

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 07:50:30 AM »
I agree it's nice to be able to smoke while spending your time doing other activities.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 09:38:06 AM »
Sleep rules! All my butts go on at midnight and I sleep like a baby.

+1
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.