Author Topic: large pork loin  (Read 3967 times)

SmokinSusie-Q

large pork loin
« on: January 11, 2017, 06:19:34 PM »
I'm planning on smoking an almost 6 lb pork loin Friday and would appreciate some suggestions.

From other posts, I assume that 200 degrees would be the best temp. to smoke low and slow.  I plan to brine overnight but is that too long?  Given the weight, how many oz. of wood (probably cherry) would you recommend?  I do plan to reverse sear so should I smoke to 145 degrees?  According to posts I've reviewed, it seemed everyone has had good results even with varying temps. and amounts of wood.
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: large pork loin
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 10:25:45 PM »
Hey Sue, I love pork loin!  Best pork sammie's in the world!  This is kind of an old post, but it's still how I do them:

Brined Pork Loin

You can use your pork rub of choice, of course.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Grampy

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 07:58:42 AM »
Hey Sue, I love pork loin!  Best pork sammie's in the world!  This is kind of an old post, but it's still how I do them:

Brined Pork Loin

You can use your pork rub of choice, of course.

+1 on Tony's advice. That is they way I do them too and they come out great every time!
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 08:35:53 AM »
+2  I smoked a 9lb pork loin over the holiday break following Tony's method and it was excellent.   
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Danbow

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 07:48:12 PM »
Can you brine and then rub with mustard and famous Daves rib rub. I did that without the brine and it was off the charts, just wondering if you can brine and rub too?
Danny from Cowley County Kansas
Open fire tractor wheel griller, Oklahoma Joes stick smoker, Proud Smokin-it 3D wi-fi owner

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 10:58:40 PM »
Can you brine and then rub with mustard and famous Daves rib rub. I did that without the brine and it was off the charts, just wondering if you can brine and rub too?
The only thing to watch there would be the salt level. Brining adds salt, so generally when you brine, you want to eliminate or greatly reduce the salt in your rub. But...when it comes to pork loin, that is a very dense meat, so it's not going to absorb the salt as readily as others meats unless you brine it for a few days. So I would go for it. Everyone has a different tolerance for salt. Give it a try and decide if you like it.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Grampy

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 11:14:32 AM »

Danny, I always brine my pork loins and then coat with mustard and then the rub and it turns out great every time. However, as Kari mentioned salt is a concern so when I do brine a pork loin I generally cut down the amount of salt in the brine. 
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 05:47:45 PM »
I'm planning on smoking an almost 6 lb pork loin Friday and would appreciate some suggestions.

From other posts, I assume that 200 degrees would be the best temp. to smoke low and slow.  I plan to brine overnight but is that too long?  Given the weight, how many oz. of wood (probably cherry) would you recommend?  I do plan to reverse sear so should I smoke to 145 degrees?  According to posts I've reviewed, it seemed everyone has had good results even with varying temps. and amounts of wood.

Thanks all for your suggestions on smoking a pork loin.  My 5.36 lb pork loin was really a hit, according to my husband and my company.  Here's what I did:

Using Steven Raichlen's recipe for bourbon brown sugar smoked pork loin, I  butterflied the loin and filled it with bourbon, mustard, and brown sugar.  Then I refrigerated it overnight (he did not).  The next day,approximately 4hrs. before smoking, I applied my pork rub on the outside; placed 4 slices of bacon on sides, top and bottom; and tied the loin together with butcher string.  I placed the loin back in the frig until 30 minutes before smoking.  With the auber setting at 225 and the internal temp. at 146, it was done in a little over 3 hrs.  I let it sit while I fired up the grill and reverse seared it at 4 minutes per side.  This is a great recipe and the results were amazing. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 05:55:19 PM by SmokinSusie-Q »
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 01:07:29 PM »
Nice looking roast and choice of Bourbon....  8)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Donmac

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 01:10:40 PM »
wow that looks really good!
Don from New Hampshire, 3D & #1 Owner

Durangosmoker

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 12:13:40 PM »
Looks Yum! In love smoked pork loin
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 10:18:34 PM »
Nice variation, Sue!  Looks great!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!