Author Topic: cold smoked Salmon  (Read 5057 times)

Moscowbni

cold smoked Salmon
« on: December 30, 2016, 07:28:10 AM »
Ok, another first here for me.  Brined Salmon overnight (water, brown sugar, salt, crushed peppercorns, a few bay leaves) rinsed in slow stream of cold water 30+ minutes in the morning.  Patted dry, and placed in the fridge for 6 hours hoping for some pellicle to form...Gave up and took it out of the fridge...been two hours sitting room temp +-70 degrees and not much progress on the formation of pellicle.  Put it outside (+75d) just now and will start it cooking in an hour no matter what. Have some Alder chips, and chopped up one of my Cherry blocks as well.  Going to use my cold plate from SI two slots above the heating element with ice loaf in it, salmon on top rack.  Plan on setting temp at 100 for 15 minutes, if I get smoke (or until I get), then shut it down for an hour, repeat until I give up...maybe 3 or 4 times.  I'll let you know how it goes.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 08:53:28 AM by Moscowbni »
Stephen.  First time smoker owner, but now getting the hang of it.  Transplanted from the USA to Kuwait.  2d, Weber Genesis Gas Grill, enjoying learning how to make new stuff.

Moscowbni

Re: cold smoked Salmon
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 10:38:06 AM »
Update.  Had to turn the temp up higher to get smoke.  One Ice loaf wasn't enough to keep it cool.  Temp climbed up to 90...so I popped the door and let it cool down a bit after 40 minutes.  Burned the chips, so I replaced them, put 4 frozen loafs in and fired it up to 200.  After 7 munites I got smoke, and turned it off again.  Might just be a 2 smoke run.  Internal temp at 93 now and seems to be rising still, after 20 minutes of having it turned off.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 10:41:52 AM by Moscowbni »
Stephen.  First time smoker owner, but now getting the hang of it.  Transplanted from the USA to Kuwait.  2d, Weber Genesis Gas Grill, enjoying learning how to make new stuff.

Moscowbni

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 01:52:42 PM »
It ended up ok.  Three rounds of smoking...then I ran out of ice. There must be an easier way tho.  Not too bad figuring how warm it is here.
Flavor is good now.  Let's see how it develops after a bit of aging.

First cold smoke done!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 04:26:29 PM »
I would use some frozen plastic bottles from Soda/Milk instead of the loaf jug. When I cold smoke, I usually place 3 2-Liter Soda bottles in the smoker and it makes a huge difference.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 07:34:05 PM »
You want to get as much ice in there as you can, especially in Kuwait. Some sort of cake pan or disposable pan as large as will fit on top of the cold smoke plate, filled with ice. Or as many frozen soda bottles as will fit. When I cold smoke salmon, I turn it on full blast for 15 minutes (or until you see smoke), then off for 45. My #1 will stay below 90 degrees in the winter. I don't usually cold smoke in the summer. As for the pellicle, I don't rinse my salmon that much. I just rinse briefly until the sugar etc are rinsed away. Then blot dry thoroughly with paper towels, and place on a rack. Sometimes it takes quite a while for a pellicle to form in the refrigerator because of the humidity. A couple hours outside the fridge will help.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Moscowbni

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 11:48:39 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys.  Will use the bottles next time for sure.  I was a little worried about the plastic in the smoker, so I used the loaf pans.  The long rinse was what I got off a recipe for a rather strong salty and peppery brine...they recommend at least 30 minutes or longer.  When I tasted it after a light rinse it was overpowering to say the least.   Was suprised at how brutally strong the pepper taste came through. After full rinse it had a much nicer taste.  I was also surprised that the humidity from the melted ice didn't screw it up...so far as I can tell.

Might try to do some ahi tuna (red tuna) strips later in the week with some crushed pepper on the outside, and allowing a higher heat too be used.  I think that they will come out like the lightly seared tuna you get in Japanese restaurant...but with a nice smoked taste.  Good for slices on crackers, or added to salad.  Anyone try this?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 12:28:35 AM by Moscowbni »

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 01:11:29 AM »
Did you use a wet brine? A dry brine might give you a better pellicle. My dry brine/cure consists of kosher salt and brown sugar (plus pink curing salt #1 if I am cold-smoking). That's it. The proportions depend on whether I am hot-smoking or cold-smoking. I don't use any pepper at all in my dry brine. I've found it overpowers the salmon. I rarely use any pepper on my salmon (personal preference), but when I do, I apply sparingly after brining and rinsing. Or sometimes I brush hot-smoked salmon with maple syrup (or honey) after smoking and sprinkle with a little black pepper then. The humidity from the ice should not be a problem for the salmon. You are not trying to dry it.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Moscowbni

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 04:54:55 AM »
I used a wet brine that included heating it up to get all to dissolve, then letting it cool before submerging the salmon overnight.

I'm doing a smoked salmon for drunch today that I used the dry brine you mentioned.  1 salt to 4 parts sugar.  Going to add a bit of lemon pepper on top just before smoking, as my wife didn't care for the sweetness of adding the maple syrup to the top...per last time.  I thought it was great, but I'm making it for a New Years pre-party and she will have the salmon, I'll be having the steak from the Webber.

Us old folk don't see the need to wait till midnight to have fun.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 11:34:15 AM »
I think you will like the results of the dry brine better Stephen. You want to pull a little moisture out of the fish and it helps with that. You can season any way you want with respect to your preferred flavor profile. Happy smoking!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Moscowbni

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 03:16:44 AM »
Follow up post.  I have had this refrigerated for almost 2 weeks now in vacuum pack bags, and it is great.  I love it.
Flavor has matured and blended into the fish, not too salty, just a nice pure smoked flavor, and it is quite moist.  I should have made more!  Going to serve the last portion tomorrow to some guests coming over for a smoking experience/meal.

OK, I confess, I still have one chunk in the freezer for later that I'm not going to share.

Cheers