Author Topic: Reducing sodium in smoked Salmon  (Read 8074 times)

JustChillin

Re: Reducing sodium in smoked Salmon
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 03:17:19 PM »
Bring some salmon to smoke. I reduced the sodium and am only going to keep it in the brine for 6 hours as suggested. Will let you know how it turns out.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2017, 06:16:26 PM »
The saltiness depends on how you are using it. If you are making lox (cold smoked), you are using very thin slices tempered by cream cheese, bagels, tomatoes, etc. So the lox provides the salt. On it's own, it would be very salty. If you are hot smoking, then it brines for a shorter amount of time. But you would likely still be consuming with crackers, cucumbers, etc., so you have to keep that in mind. If you are tasting or eating your smoked salmon directly by itself, then it is going to taste salty. That is not usually how it is eaten, but if that is how you plan to eat it, then you should reduce the brine/cure time.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 11:10:53 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

JustChillin

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2017, 08:00:46 PM »
I don't think the sodium will be a problem this time. Besides reducing the brine time and the amount, some of it will be prepared with an Alfredo style sauce served with artichoke ravioli. The rest will be served with cheese and crackers as appetizers. We have a large family group going to the mountains this weekend.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.