Author Topic: Smoked Salmon  (Read 9286 times)

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Smoked Salmon
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2017, 11:54:02 PM »
#3 looks like a tail piece. So it probably got a little more firm than the other pieces. Sounds like that's the one with the extra seasoning, and the one they liked. So your seasoning must have been pretty tasty!
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

polarlys

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2017, 01:20:27 PM »
I've been cold smoking salmon using my old homemade rig for a long time.   My fish came out with the raw texture of lox and that's what I like.   I scrapped my old rig for a smokin-it 3d.   I've found it absolutely great for ribs.   I've only had it a few weeks and between our traveling and visiting at home that's the only meat I've tried.   I have a large brisket in the freezer just waiting it's turn.   I got a Big-Kahuna cold smoke generator and have used it a few times with salmon.   My result has been less than spectacular so maybe I need some help here.  The first time I felt that the smoke may have been too heavy / too long.   I did it the other day and for a much shorter time and left the door slightly ajar so the smoke wouldn't be quite so heavy.   Smoke flavor is better but still not what I'm looking for and the texture seems to be a little off also.   I use the same curing method and times that I've always used.  (50/50 kosher salt/dark brown sugar, for 8-12 hrs. depending on thickness) rinse, dry, smoke. 

2nd. question here is how do most of you use the hot smoked salmon you make ???   I have some done by a friend in Alaska.   It tastes great right out of the jar and makes a very nice dip when mixed with cream cheese.  So what other options do I have for consuming it.   I would like to try making some.   

ThanX all in advance.
Roger from NJ
Roger from NJ
Somerset, NJ
retired Police Officer
retired Air Nat'l. Guard
US Army '69-'72 (20th Engineers Vietnam)
SI-3d

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2017, 03:33:54 AM »
I don't have a D model (I have a #1). So when I make cold-smoked salmon lox, I use an on/off procedure with the knob. I also use the cold smoke plate and a pan of ice. The Big-Kahuna probably works better, so you should stick with that. I usually cure my salmon for lox a lot longer than I cure my salmon for hot smoking. I also put a bit of Prague Powder #1 in the lox cure.

If you are not liking the smoke flavor, I would assume it has something to do with your wood. The Big Kahuna is going to use a different style of wood than what you were using on your homemade smoker. Also, what wood species did you use on your old smoker, and what are you using with the Big Kahuna? If the smoke is too strong, maybe try a different wood with a milder flavor, like maple, cherry, apple or other fruit woods. Sounds like you are already working on the other two variables, amount of smoke and time.

I usually wrap and refrigerate my cold-smoked salmon for at least a couple days before slicing it. It helps mellow the surface smoke. As far as texture, that could be a number of things. You didn't mention how the texture is different. Maybe your old smoker slightly cooked it? Or maybe it is just where you sourced your salmon? Farm-raised salmon usually works best for me for cold-smoking. Unless you can get some nice fatty wild Alaska King Salmon, but I can't justify the price.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

polarlys

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2017, 09:06:04 AM »
The texture is close to what I'm looking for.  I like it to be able to get thin slices from something with a texture similar to raw fish.  I've always used mixed hardwood sawdust for my smoke.   Mostly oak and cherry and that's what I'm using now also.   Yes, the Big Kahuna is a bit of a learning curve.   It generates a much more concentrated and dense smoke than I'm used to working with and the SI box is a lot smaller than my old rig.  I strongly suspect that therin lies the basis of my issues to work out.  Outside temperature also plays into this.  I did my smoke early in the morning when it was the coolest but it was still a pretty warm day.  I'll try again when things get consistantly cooler.  Now, don't get me wrong.  It was not a bad end result just different from what I'm used to.  The slicing texture was just a softer fish that I'd like. 

Back to hot smokin fish.   I"m still going to work on that and try to come up with something I like.

ThanX.  Appreciate your input.

Roger from NJ
Roger from NJ
Somerset, NJ
retired Police Officer
retired Air Nat'l. Guard
US Army '69-'72 (20th Engineers Vietnam)
SI-3d