Author Topic: 1st time Brisket Flat  (Read 1614 times)

Vinings Dawg

1st time Brisket Flat
« on: September 29, 2017, 07:00:16 PM »
Long time lurker, first time poster.... Pround 2D owner.

I got a 8 lbs. choice flat from Costco this week. Did a little injection with a yellow mustard slather. I'm running salt and pepper with a touch of garlic, onion and paprika powder. Loaf pan with apple juice and 5-6 oz. of hickory. I'd like to eat around 5 tomorrow. Planning on a 11pm start at 220. Pull at 165 and foil till 190-195. I always FTC with my butts so I'll do the same here.
Any recommendations on this approach?

« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 09:02:51 PM by Vinings Dawg »

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: 1st time Brisket Flat
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 02:28:12 AM »
Sounds like a good plan to me. Flats can be tricky, since they are the leaner part of the brisket. So the things I really like about your plan is the injection, foiling at 165, and a good long FTC rest. The only thing I'm wondering about is whether you might have started just a tiny bit early. Briskets usually take 1 to 1.5 hours per pound at 225. Since you are going 220, probably closer to 1.5 hours per pound, or about 12 hours, maybe less. If it is done before noon, you can FTC for several hours, even up to 5 hours or so. If it's more than that, you can always put it back into the smoker at 140 (allow the smoker to cool down after the cook before you reset the temp to 140) to keep it warm for a very long time. Better to have it done early, than not done in time and pulling it too soon without a rest.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: 1st time Brisket Flat
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 08:13:50 PM »
And welcome to the forum from SE Arizona.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus