Author Topic: Digital vs. Analog  (Read 3284 times)

Peter

Digital vs. Analog
« on: July 20, 2017, 04:57:54 PM »
I am new to the site and appreciate all of the info that has been posted. I am trying to decide between a #1 or #2 and if I go with the #2 do I go digital or do I stick with the analog unit and just buy myself a quality thermometer. I would appreciate any feedback you are willing to offer and mostly in regards to the digital vs. analog models as it is quite a bump up in price for the fancy digital model. Thank you for your input and please feel free to email me your replies as well to pdrozin@gmail.com.  Regards, Peter from Idaho!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Digital vs. Analog
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 06:32:47 PM »
When in doubt get the bigger size.

Personally I have never used digital and have non desire to get started with it. you can make some great food without "precise digital control".
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 10:05:18 PM »
I went through all of the mental gymnastics you are describing as well as considering the #3.  I ultimately settled on the #2 and have been very happy with it.

Size:  The #2 is the correct size for me.  I don't know that there is a case where what I've put in my #2 couldn't be fit into the #1 somehow, but it goes into the #2 effortlessly.  I've had to cut briskets in half, but there's not yet been a case where I've had to do two separate smokes because of running out of space.  So, there times the #3 would be a luxury, but never a necessity in my case.  I also like the outside size of the #2... it fits in my available space really well where a #3 would feel out of place.

Analog / Digital:  There is definitely simplicity in going analog...  you can't program it wrong, it's not going to get too cold to work correctly, you don't have to run any calibration cycles.  It's just super easy and solid.  So far I've not hit a case where I even want digital, let alone need.  However, I want to start doing bacon, cheese, and jerky and I've at least seen it suggested this is easier with digital.

Let us know what you decide and if you have additional questions that may help you make an informed decision.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 10:21:02 PM »
Peter - Brian and Larry have it covered very well. The D models remove the temperature swings that, for some people in this digital age, see as a problem.  The swings are not an issue.  A 5 hour smoke is a 5 hour smoke.  The D models will however, allow you to set a higher temperature in excess of 300 degrees which is hardly low and slow.  I have a secondary thermometer for my smoker since the PID will only monitor one cut of meat.  For an analog you definitely have to have a remote thermometer; more if doing multiple cuts like a butt and a brisket simultaneously. You could get by with one and use a small instant read to check the other cut.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 10:28:29 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

JustChillin

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 07:03:58 AM »
I have a #2 with a stand alone Auber PID. I love my #2 for its size and simplicity. I also use it as an analog smoker 80% of the time. I do use the Auber when smoking fish. Gook luck with your decision making.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

Peter

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 02:09:16 PM »
Thank you everybody for the input. I have just ordered a model #2 analog and will start with that. I am very excited to start smoking next week when it arrives!!!

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 02:45:19 PM »
Thank you everybody for the input. I have just ordered a model #2 analog and will start with that. I am very excited to start smoking next week when it arrives!!!

Congrats!  If you end up feeling any buyer's remorse at all having gone analog just remember that you can add a separate Auber and have the best of both worlds.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

BobM

• H.H. The Bahbi Lama
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 05:49:51 PM »
Personally, the main reason I bought a smoken it smoker was because of simplicity.  For that reason I didn't and don't regret not getting the digital version due to possible increased failure modes.   Most modern day appliances like refrigerators and pool heaters etc. fail due to electronic issues long before the mechanics crap out.  I used those two examples because I replaced PCB's on both early on in their life span.  Smoking is the dumbest, simplest activity, why complicate it for limited perceived perfection.  As long as you use the correct amount of wood, seasoning, temp and time, what else do you need?  This IMHO, though and I'm sure those that own the digital versions will disagree.  And I would say in cases where you are a pro smoker for either competitions or business, the digital will probably be a good investment. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 07:40:59 PM by BobM »
-Bob from Huntington Beach CA
 Smokin-It model #1
 Taking BBQ to the next level, also own the big Weber Summit

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 07:14:23 PM »
Peter,

I have owned both the #2 and now have a 3D smoker and they both worked perfect for my needs. I decided to give the 3D a try last year and I am happy with my purchase. But I do not all the features... no not really. Mostly I like that I can set the temp and it really does a good job holding that. I also do not need another source to keep track of the meat since it has another probe.

Overall I am happy and the results are good. If you want to keep it simple just go with the basic model it will do an amazing job. 

If there is a negative to the electronic control is that the user interface is not really user friendly. *Note my background is computers, electronics and software. That being said, if you take the time to read the manual and are willing to take the time, it works and does the job.

I would like to see the software folks put some time in this and really make it so you do not need a manual to operate. This would really help to sell the product.

Just my 2 cents.

Best Greg

Up-In-Smoke

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 11:15:08 AM »
I figured I'm investing that much money, whats another $180
Weber Kettle
Smokin-It 3D.5
Lang 84 Deluxe with chargrill

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 04:22:14 PM »
I figured I'm investing that much money, whats another $180
Exactly, $180 for a D controlled unit or $200 for a standalone PID and have the security of 2 power sources.  What's another $20? 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Grampy

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 06:25:36 PM »
Great choice! I have the analog #2 and love it. I like Pork Belly, have no desire to go digital.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!