Author Topic: Removing Rib Membrane  (Read 5349 times)

JustChillin

Removing Rib Membrane
« on: October 27, 2017, 08:12:19 AM »
I will be cooking ribs this weekend and had a thought. While removing the membrane from the backside is no problem for me using a butter knife and paper towel, I am always looking for a better way. How about using a catfish skinner has anyone ever given it a try?
https://www.amazon.com/Maybrun-Catfish-Skinner-Nickel-Finish/dp/B0013F7MS4/ref=sr_1_4/133-4463644-0532656?ie=UTF8&qid=1509106083&sr=8-4&keywords=catfish+skinner
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

Durangosmoker

Re: Removing Rib Membrane
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 11:54:12 AM »
I've heard of using one, but since I don't own one, I've never tried it. Never had a problem using the table knife and paper towels, though.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 06:37:34 PM »
Only problem I see is matching the curve of the scaler to the concave shape of the ribs.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 09:36:01 AM »
When I remove membrane, I have to start at a corner but constantly move my grip back and forth across the width of the ribs otherwise it tears.  Membrane removal, at least for me, seems more delicate than the catfish skinner would lend itself to. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

JustChillin

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 09:40:29 AM »
I did use it this morning and it worked well. I started at the narrow end gently until I got a couple of inches pulled then moved the pliers down to a wad of membrane and it came off with ease.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 08:46:24 PM »
I start in the middle of the rack on one side, get membrane lifted up across the whole center, the lift up until I get to the ends.  No problems gripping and is much easier as it kind of acts like a pulley as you work to both ends.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 08:49:38 PM »
Like Dave, I use the "start in the middle" method.  I work a butter knife from side to side, right on top of a bone, so it doesn't dig into the meat.  Then, grab the membrane like a handle and pull straight up.  I can de-membrane 3 racks in about a minute.  Works incredibly well, and you don't even need paper towels!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 12:41:15 PM »
+2

I am with Dave and Tony on starting in the middle with the butter knife.

I like the idea of thinking outside of the box though. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

JustChillin

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 07:05:27 PM »
I never tried starting in the middle. Maybe my catfish skinners can collect rust. Thanks for sharing.

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 08:40:36 PM »
Once you get the hang of it, starting in the middle is crazy easy, and only requires a butter knife!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

prudentsmoker

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 10:35:03 AM »
Just tried the "middle method" and can concur it works quite well. Still used a paper towel to assist though.
Brian from Wichita

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 08:09:11 PM »
Way to go,  Brian!  I actually picked it up from Jeff Phillips several years ago, and have it down to an art now.  lol...
Tony from NW Arkansas

JustChillin

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 06:50:57 AM »
Tony, it is great having you back! The knowledge on this forum is really valuable.

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 06:53:55 PM »
Thanks, David.  Great to be back!
Tony from NW Arkansas

es1025

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2018, 03:00:53 PM »
I start in the middle on a bone, lightly push the butter knife up the rib. Once you make it to the side, push up on the knife. You should be able to grab the membrane and go side to side. A paper towel works to keep you hands less slippery.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?