Author Topic: Dumb Question  (Read 5916 times)

Roostershooter

Re: Dumb Question
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 06:52:47 PM »
As others have said, buy the biggest your budget will allow.  I was in the same position last spring wondering if the 1 would fit my needs.  I finally decided on a 2D and i do like it.  I like to eat country style sausage and for that reason would like a larger smoker to smoke and vac seal more sausage rings.  But the 2 will work just fine and you will be happy with extra room the 2 has over the 1. 

Tar54

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2018, 05:57:01 AM »
I am one of the rare ones here...I went from a 2D to a No.1...The reason for me was as simple as giving my son a early wedding present and the nest is empty now....having said that I just fed 12 co-workers who can flat eat with a 8lb Boston out of the No.1. Nobody went hungry...and lots of compliments..I don't feel under "gunned" by any means....the game plan for my wife and I is to smoke meals and for the most part these meals will be portioned and vacuum sealed for later consumption....like on a beautiful summer day when you are in a hurry and have others things you would like to do...BTW...I am running the Fireboard monitor on my No.1...this is analog vs the digital 2D...the digital does hold a advantage in regards to setting and forgetting and being able to program multiple cooking temp set points...but I don't find that necessary for my style of cooking..either is a excellent choice...did I just make that clear as mud? lol
Rick from Central Indiana
Smokin-It 2D...residing at my sons new home along with his soon to be Bride!
No.1 Analog with Fireboard controller

JustChillin

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2018, 08:15:33 AM »
I am one of the rare ones here...I went from a 2D to a No.1...The reason for me was as simple as giving my son a early wedding present and the nest is empty now....having said that I just fed 12 co-workers who can flat eat with a 8lb Boston out of the No.1. Nobody went hungry...and lots of compliments..I don't feel under "gunned" by any means....the game plan for my wife and I is to smoke meals and for the most part these meals will be portioned and vacuum sealed for later consumption....like on a beautiful summer day when you are in a hurry and have others things you would like to do...BTW...I am running the Fireboard monitor on my No.1...this is analog vs the digital 2D...the digital does hold a advantage in regards to setting and forgetting and being able to program multiple cooking temp set points...but I don't find that necessary for my style of cooking..either is a excellent choice...did I just make that clear as mud? lol

Good post Rick. It is good to hear that your downsizing and going analog is working for you. I personally love my #2 analog but 90% of the time I would be fine with the capacity of the #1.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

Hank R

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2018, 08:35:19 AM »
So if I understand you correct the old Analog controls are very good and reliable  and simple to use.  Also if I get a 1 what else does one need to buy a cover for sure .  I once found a link to all kinds of extras but do not know where that was now. How different kinds of wood do you use. can one use wood chips or do you have to use blocks?
Smokin-It #1
Napoleon Prestige gas BBQ with Cast Iron Charcoal/Smoker Tray
 30 year old Big Chief smoker (unused for the last 25)
 Snow blower lover Toro 1128 HD,
 collector of Oilcans
Princeton BC Canada

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2018, 09:47:39 AM »
Hank, the analog control is pretty reliable but just comes with a much wider temperature swings.  If you set the controller to 225, you can expect to experience anywhere from 250 - 200 at any given time.  As for wood, chunks for long duration and higher temp smokes and chips for lower temp, short duration smokes.  Think chips for cold smoking and chunks for about everything else. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Tar54

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2018, 10:31:42 AM »
So if I understand you correct the old Analog controls are very good and reliable  and simple to use.  Also if I get a 1 what else does one need to buy a cover for sure .  I once found a link to all kinds of extras but do not know where that was now. How different kinds of wood do you use. can one use wood chips or do you have to use blocks?
Yes you understood me correctly.Accessories can be found by clicking on the link at the top of this page..."Click here to enter our store!"As far as wood goes I have Apple,Cherry,Peach,Hickory currently on hand that I received from Fruitalicious in a variety pack...it was a large amount! I found the moisture content to be in the mid 20s with a moisture meter...you do not need a wood moisture meter...I just happened to have one that I check my firewood with....I got a little carried away as it does not require much wood for a good smoke! My No.1 came with 6 Hickory chunks to get you started...you can easily do 3 smokes with this amount.My No.1 also came with a water pan and a wood chips screen to smoke with....The smoker cover was extra at $60 and they may still have the No.1 on sale for $339....a excellent value IMO.In addition I bought a Fireboard temp monitor...this of course is a stand alone unit...as any temp monitor for the No.1 will be...it wasn't cheap coming in at approx..$189 for the Fireboard and it is a ICloud connected smart thermometer in which I have linked to my Apple products..(Phone/PC) you can also run it on your Android systems as well...mine came with a ambient probe for smoker box temp and 2 internal meat probes..It is a very easy system to set up and run...it practically sets its self up! I found it much more intuitive than the 2D...you do not even have to use or run the app on anything if you so choose..I am very impressed with it...I just checked my phone and the Boston I put in this am has a internal temp of  152.6 on its way to 190...I said all of this to say that you can be lazy and not get up to check on temps! lol There are cheaper alternatives out there to monitor temps with..the seasoned veterans here will chime in on their like/dislikes preferences for monitoring temps on the very reliable analog smokers...if you have anymore questions please feel free to ask...Rick

Walt

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2018, 12:20:14 PM »
If only cooking 1 or 2 racks of ribs in the 2, there is no need to cut (lay diagonally). Multiple  racks will need to be cut in half.  I have cooked 9 racks a few of times (usually 3 rack SAMS pack and we vacseal half for a later meal). No problems fitting whole packers in if folded. My household is 3 but i cook for larger groups often (vollyball team, infusion center, etc). I use it weekly. The #2 can handle the needs for 90% of users but the cost for upgrade is minimal and your budget should guide you at this point. The #1 has benefits and limitations due to it size but i would think those purchasing it need it to be small for transporting it often or storage or budgetary constraints. They all work well. You cant go wrong with any of them, just find the one that fits your needs, wants or budgetary requirements.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Hank R

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2018, 02:36:03 PM »
Budget wise being in Canada #1 would work the best and 90% of the time it would be great. I have to renew my passport so I can get it shipped into Wash.  State then pick up there that would save at least $200.xx  I also have to read a lot lot more and see what I also need  wood ,cover, and I read some where a scale?  Having never smoked meat I know less than nothing and need or want it all.  So it may be June or July before it comes together. I know I will get a Smoke-it or nothing  so I will make it happen may take on a part time job so it does.  So much to learn here and everyone has been great here.

Thanks Hank
Smokin-It #1
Napoleon Prestige gas BBQ with Cast Iron Charcoal/Smoker Tray
 30 year old Big Chief smoker (unused for the last 25)
 Snow blower lover Toro 1128 HD,
 collector of Oilcans
Princeton BC Canada

Tar54

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2018, 02:52:48 PM »
Budget wise being in Canada #1 would work the best and 90% of the time it would be great. I have to renew my passport so I can get it shipped into Wash.  State then pick up there that would save at least $200.xx  I also have to read a lot lot more and see what I also need  wood ,cover, and I read some where a scale?  Having never smoked meat I know less than nothing and need or want it all.  So it may be June or July before it comes together. I know I will get a Smoke-it or nothing  so I will make it happen may take on a part time job so it does.  So much to learn here and everyone has been great here.
You can get a very inexpensive scale to weigh your wood chunks..either a beam or digital...the beam will never let you down.

Thanks Hank