Author Topic: Why should I buy a model 2  (Read 3973 times)

vincel

Why should I buy a model 2
« on: June 14, 2017, 10:53:16 AM »
Am I better off spending the $160 to upgrade from the model 1 to the model 2?
Kids are out of the house, mostly smoking for the wife and myself with occasional bar-b-que for 6-8 friends.

Thanks!   
Vincel
Washington Mo

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Why should I buy a model 2
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 11:57:39 PM »
Sooner or later one of the kids might want to borrow the smoker.  It is good to have a loaner (which you may never see again; like tools) so getting the Model 2 is a fine idea.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Gene

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 08:49:54 AM »
I am very satisfied with the size of my #1.  I recently did 3 racks of baby backs with no problem.  I did have to cut about 4 inches off of each one and placed the ribs diagonally on the racks.  They came out fine.

My situation is similar to yours with it being only my wife and I.  I would say that if you are feeding 6 to 8 people throw in a couple pork butts and you will have enough for a big feast with leftovers to send home with them.

Another thing I like about the #1 is that it is easy to lift, move around and store.

Hope this helps.

Model 1
Central Illinois

vincel

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 11:52:06 AM »
Thanks, Gene.
That's what I was wondering if the size would fit my needs.  ALSO does the greater wattage of the heating element (800) vs. (400) make any difference?

Vince
Vincel
Washington Mo

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 08:14:44 PM »
That's a tough question...  by all rights, the #1 will serve you perfectly well.  Everything that one makes in a #2 also gets made in a #1 in smaller quantities/sizes.  At the same time, if the $160 isn't a hardship then it's hard to not go with the #2... because reasons.  :) 

I actually have a #2 and love it... I'm pretty sure a #3 would be too big for me 99% of the time and that I would do just fine with a #1 50% of the time.  I like the extra space even if I don't use all of it.  I know I have the capacity if I want to throw a party and that it's still small enough to be out of the way and efficient the rest of the time.

------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 11:19:46 PM »
Vince - The heating element wattage is sized according to the volume of the smoker and the load it could conceivably handle.  Bringing a small cavity to temp will require less output than bringing a larger cavity to temp. I believe a 5 hour smoke will be a five hour smoke be it in a model 1 or the new model 5.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

vincel

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 12:04:36 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback.  The extra $160 won't be a problem. I'm considered frugal though.   The interior dimensions seem very close to the 2.  But after calculating sq inches the 2 is quite a bit larger.
Vincel
Washington Mo

Glock_21

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 02:04:27 PM »

You can always cook less meat in a bigger smoker.  You can't cook more meat in a smaller one.

I struggled with the same decision only between the #2 and #3.  I ended up going bigger.  I'm happy I did.  Get the #2 if the $160 difference isn't a big deal. 

Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 12:06:53 AM »
I have the #1, and it's perfect for 2 people. But you can also serve a crowd of 6-8... or more... no problem. My #1 can fit up to:

3-4 racks of ribs (depending on how many shelves you have). Each rack cut in half, and one rack per shelf.
Two 3-4 pound chickens
One huge pork butt
One 14 pound turkey
15+ pound brisket, cut in half and placed on two racks.

I bought the #1 because of how space efficient it is to store (and it suits my meat output needs 99.9% of the time). It disappears behind a chair on my back porch when not in use. I've had mine for over two years, and I still would not want a larger one. But the general consensus here is that if you are considering the #2, then maybe that's what you should get. I never even considered the #2.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

vincel

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 12:20:10 PM »
Thanks folks for your input.  Looks like the model 1 will work best for my needs.  Doesn't take up much room and perfect for family of 2.  I just wish you could get the PID on the model 1 :(

Will pull the trigger today before the fathers day special expires.

Vince     
Vincel
Washington Mo

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 12:45:22 PM »
Thanks folks for your input.  Looks like the model 1 will work best for my needs.  Doesn't take up much room and perfect for family of 2.  I just wish you could get the PID on the model 1 :(

Will pull the trigger today before the fathers day special expires.

Vince   

You can purchase it as a separate unit for the #1 if you would like, for not much more than the cost if it were actually built into the unit. But frankly, I don't think you need it unless you are doing a lot of cold smoking, and even then, I do the occasional cold smoking just fine without it, with a little extra interaction from me. The analog temperature swings are no big deal for practically everything else. You can always use your #1 for a while with the analog controller, and decide later if you want to add the PID. I like the simplicity of the analog dial myself (and I am in a tech related industry).

http://www.smokin-it.com/product-p/wsd-1200gph.htm
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

vincel

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 02:16:08 PM »
"You can always use your #1 for a while with the analog controller, and decide later if you want to add the PID."

Good point.  Just ordered ;D
Vincel
Washington Mo

Glock_21

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 09:06:49 PM »

Congrats on the purchase.  You really couldn't go wrong with either one.  Now the agonizing wait begins. 
Read up on recipes and get that 1st smoke planned right after you get it seasoned. 
Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt