Author Topic: Jalapeno Popper Stuffer  (Read 4642 times)

coachB

Jalapeno Popper Stuffer
« on: May 28, 2015, 12:10:21 AM »
For anyone who does a fair amount of poppers you have probably dealt with problem of efficiently stuffing the peppers.  It is definitely a PITA.  I went in search of a stuffer and located a kind of funnel that was not much better than a spoon.  The only other stuffer I could find looked like a caulk gun sold by Cabela's.  None of the usual outlets for BBQ & smoker supplies or restaurant supplies had anything.  I bit the bullet and ordered from Cabela's, $38 w/tax & shipping.  For someone who makes poppers frequently it is worth it.  Easily stuffs the peppers and cleanup is easy in the dishwasher.

Another toy that I had to have, but it does work as advertised and makes the process much faster and easier.
Bill from Myrtle Beach SC

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Jalapeno Popper Stuffer
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 02:03:34 AM »
For anyone who does a fair amount of poppers you have probably dealt with problem of efficiently stuffing the peppers.  It is definitely a PITA.  I went in search of a stuffer and located a kind of funnel that was not much better than a spoon.  The only other stuffer I could find looked like a caulk gun sold by Cabela's.  None of the usual outlets for BBQ & smoker supplies or restaurant supplies had anything.  I bit the bullet and ordered from Cabela's, $38 w/tax & shipping.  For someone who makes poppers frequently it is worth it.  Easily stuffs the peppers and cleanup is easy in the dishwasher.

Another toy that I had to have, but it does work as advertised and makes the process much faster and easier.

Hey Bill,

What is your recipe and do you have any photos you can share?

Thanks Greg

coachB

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 10:51:48 AM »
They are pretty simple to do Greg.
             8 oz softened cream cheese
             4 oz extra sharp cheddar
             4 oz generic "multi-cheese Mexican blend
             1/2 doz slices of cooked bacon, crumbled
             2T of bacon grease (from above)
             Enough bacon slices to halve and wrap on however many poppers   
             are going to make
Core jalapenos, stuff, wrap with bacon (top 1/2 of pepper so they will fit in rack holes).  Cook bacon until fat is rendered but still flexible for wrapping.  Use toothpicks to hold bacon to pepper.  In smoker w/cherry at 250 for 2-2.5 hrs or oven at 325 for 1.5-2 hrs.
Toughest part is ensuring the right size peppers are selected.  Too thin they fall through the rack openings, too thick they will fall over making a mess.  Better smaller though, because the toothpicks can hold in place.
Sorry about the picture thing,  have never done them.  I'm one of the relics that doesn't even have a smartphone.
Bill from Myrtle Beach SC

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 12:10:42 PM »
Thanks for the recipe Bill!

Greg

TARDISgirl

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 02:24:34 PM »
Has anyone tried a pastry bag to fill the peppers?
Michelle from Arizona
Owner Model #1, #3, and Weber Q1000 (Small, but Mighty!)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 07:49:07 PM »
I've found a plain old butter knife works best, for me.  You can load it up, and pack it in pretty quick.  I don't think a pastry bag would work very well - the filling is too thick.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 09:38:24 PM »
My market meat counter will make me up batches of chorizo to order and it is very lean.  It is the star ingredient in my popper stuffing.  Ask your meat guy if he can make you up a small batch. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah